The NEIU Literacy Center is operated by the Literacy Education graduate program. Current graduate students enrolled in Clinical Practicum in Literacy Education courses are the teachers (tutors) in this program. Participating graduate students are licensed teachers seeking an advanced degree to either become a Reading Specialist or earn a Reading Teacher endorsement.
- In this program, children and adolescents receive a comprehensive assessment of their current reading skills, and are provided individualized instruction to expand those skills.
- The Literacy Center invites students from grades 2-12 who struggle with reading or have documented reading difficulties to participate in the program.
- The cost of the program is $125 for the term.
*We are now accepting applications for our Summer 2022 tutoring program!
View the Summer 2022 Tutoring Program application.
- Summer 2022 tutoring sessions will take place in person on Monday and Wednesday evenings at the Northeastern Illinois University Literacy Center in Room LWH 2003 on the Main Campus at 3601 W. Bryn Mawr Ave.
- Sessions for younger students meet from 5-6 p.m.; sessions for older students meet from 6:15-7:15 p.m. Student placements are determined by the Literacy Center director.
- Summer 2022 sessions begin Monday, June 6 and end on Wednesday, July 27.
- There will be no sessions on Monday, June 20 and Monday, July 4 in observance of Juneteenth and Independence Day holidays.
- All participating students and parents who accompany them to and from the Literacy Center are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Per current University policy, masks are to be worn by everyone on campus.
- Students are expected to be punctual and attend all sessions. Thank you!
If you have questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (773) 442-5365. Thank you!