The Literacy Center is operated by the Literacy Education graduate program. Current graduate students enrolled in Clinical Practicum in Literacy Education courses are the teachers (tutors) in this program. Participating graduate students are licensed teachers seeking an advanced degree to become either a Reading Specialists or a Reading Teacher endorsement.
- In this program, children and adolescents receive a comprehensive assessment of their current reading skills, and are provided individualized instruction to expand those skills.
- The Literacy Center invites students from grades 2-12 who struggle with reading or have documented reading difficulties to participate in the program.
- The fall, spring and summer terms include approximately 16 contact hours with teachers.
The Literacy Center at Northeastern Illinois University is currently accepting applications for the Fall 2020 Tutoring Program. The cost of the program is $125 for the term.
- Fall 2020 sessions will take place twice a week remotely (via Zoom videoconferencing) on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings.
- Sessions for younger students meet from 5-6 p.m. Wednesdays and from 9-10 a.m. Saturdays; sessions for older students meet from 6:15-7:15 p.m. Wednesdays and from 10:15-11:15 a.m.Saturdays. Student placements are determined by the Literacy Center Director.
- Fall 2020 sessions begin Saturday, Sept. 26 and end Saturday, Nov. 21.
- There will be no sessions on Saturday, Oct. 31.
- Students are expected to be punctual and attend all sessions. Thank you!
A link to the Literacy Center application is below. Completed applications should be emailed to
If you have questions, please email email@example.com or call (773) 442-5365. Thank you!