The NEIU Literacy Center is operated by the Literacy Education graduate program. Current graduate students enrolled in Clinical Practicum in Literacy Education courses are the teachers (tutors) in this program. Participating graduate students are licensed teachers seeking an advanced degree to become either a Reading Specialist or earn a Reading Teacher endorsement.
- In this program, children and adolescents receive a comprehensive assessment of their current reading skills, and are provided individualized instruction to expand those skills.
- The Literacy Center invites students from grades 2-12 who struggle with reading or have documented reading difficulties to participate in the program.
The Literacy Center at Northeastern Illinois University is currently accepting applications for its 12-week Winter/Spring 2022 Tutoring Program. The cost of the program is $125 for the term.
- Winter/Spring 2022 sessions will take place remotely (via Zoom videoconferencing) on Saturday mornings.
- Sessions for younger students meet from 9-10 a.m.; sessions for older students meet from 10:15-11:15 a.m. Student placements are determined by the Literacy Center director.
- Winter/Spring 2022 sessions begin Saturday, Feb. 5 and end Saturday, April 30.
- There will be no sessions on Saturday, March 19 due to NEIU Spring Break
- Students are expected to be punctual and attend all sessions.
A link to the Literacy Center electronic application is below.
If you have questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (773) 442-5365. Thank you!