The Literacy Center is operated by the Literacy Education graduate program. Current graduate students enrolled in Clinical Practicum in Literacy Education courses are the teachers (tutors) in this program. Participating graduate students are licensed teachers seeking an advanced degree to become either a Reading Specialist or earn a Reading Teacher endorsement.
- In this program, children and adolescents receive a comprehensive assessment of their current reading skills, and are provided individualized instruction to expand those skills.
- The Literacy Center invites students from grades 2-12 who struggle with reading or have documented reading difficulties to participate in the program.
The Literacy Center at Northeastern Illinois University is currently accepting applications for the Winter/Spring 2021 Tutoring Program. The cost of the program is $100 for the term.
- Winter/Spring 2021 sessions will take place remotely (via Zoom videoconferencing) on Saturday mornings.
- Sessions for younger students meet from 9-10 a.m.; sessions for older students meet from 10:15-11:15 a.m. Student placements are determined by the Literacy Center director.
- Winter/Spring 2021 sessions begin Saturday, Jan. 30 and end Saturday, April 24.
- There will be no sessions on Saturday, March 20 due to NEIU Spring Break.
- Students are expected to be punctual and attend all sessions.
A link to the Literacy Center application is below. Completed applications should be emailed to
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (773) 442-5365.