The NEIU Literacy Center is operated by the Literacy Education graduate program. Current graduate students enrolled in Clinical Practicum in Literacy Education courses are the teachers (tutors) in this program. Participating graduate students are licensed teachers seeking an advanced degree to either become a Reading Specialist or earn a Reading Teacher endorsement.
- In this program, children and adolescents receive a comprehensive assessment of their current reading skills, and are provided individualized instruction to expand those skills.
- The Literacy Center invites students from grades 2-12 who struggle with reading or have documented reading difficulties to participate in the program.
- The cost of the program is $125 for the term.
Unfortunately, we are not offering a Fall 2022 tutoring program. Our program will resume in Winter/Spring 2023.
- Winter/Spring 2023 tutoring sessions will take place in person on Saturday mornings at the Northeastern Illinois University Literacy Center in Room LWH 2003 on the Main Campus at 3601 W. Bryn Mawr Ave.
- Sessions for younger students meet from 9-10:30 a.m.; sessions for older students meet from 10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Student placements are determined by the Literacy Center director.
- Winter/Spring 2023 sessions begin in February (specific dates to be determined).
- Per current policy, all participating students and parents who accompany them to and from the Literacy Center are required to wear masks and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Students are expected to be punctual and attend all sessions.
Complete the Winter/Spring 2023 Application.
If you have questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (773) 442-5365. Thank you!