The Literacy Center is operated by the Literacy Education graduate program. Current graduate students enrolled in Clinical Practicum in Literacy Education courses are the teachers (tutors) in this program. Participating graduate students are licensed teachers seeking an advanced degree to become either a Reading Specialists or a Reading Teacher endorsement.
- In this program, children and adolescents receive a comprehensive assessment of their current reading skills, and are provided individualized instruction to expand those skills.
- The Literacy Center invites students from grades 2-12 who struggle with reading or have documented reading difficulties to participate in the program.
- The fall, spring and summer terms include approximately 16 contact hours with teachers. The fee is $125 per term.
The Literacy Center at Northeastern Illinois University is currently accepting applications for the Summer 2020 Tutoring Program. The cost of the program is $125 for the term.
- Summer 2020 sessions meet on Monday and Wednesday evenings and include 60 minutes of assessment and instruction.
- Sessions for younger students meet from 5-6 p.m.; sessions for older students meet from 6:15-7:15 p.m. Student placements are determined by the Literacy Center Director.
- Summer 2020 sessions begin Monday, June 8, and end on July 29.
- Students are expected to arrive on time and attend all sessions.
A link to the Literacy Center application is below. Completed applications can be emailed to
firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the address at the bottom of the application.
If you have questions, please email us at email@example.com or call (773) 442-5365.
The Literacy Center also offers a Community Program. Teachers in this program are Reading Specialists who have completed most of their graduate work and may have had experience as Reading Specialists. These Reading Specialists provide individual assessment and instruction. The cost of the Community Program is $50 per hourly session. An overview report of the assessment and instruction is $100. Please note that the Community Program service is offered based on the availability of these highly experienced Reading Specialists.