About the Scholarships Office
The Scholarships Office promotes and awards University scholarship funds to deserving students. The goal is to assist in lessening the financial burden that many students seek to overcome. Scholarship information (criteria, application and deadline) is offered for each scholarship awarded. For a detailed listing of institutional scholarships and tuition waivers, visit the Academic Catalog.
NEIU Foundation Scholarships
The Northeastern Illinois University Foundation annually awards thousands of dollars in scholarships and awards supported by the generous contributions of University alumni, faculty, staff and friends. Some scholarships are based on financial need. Some are merit-based, awarded to students whose ability to contribute to campus life is significant because of their academic potential or talent in a particular field. View the NEIU Foundation scholarships.
How to Apply
- Apply online. Some scholarships may have a priority deadline of April 15.
- For the General Application, submit (upload) current resume or listing highlighting extracurricular activities, leadership positions held, academic honors, community service, employment etc.
- Respond to the required essay question (250 word minimum).
For further information, contact the Scholarships Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (773) 442-4606
External Scholarship Opportunities
Register for free access to five million scholarships offering up to $24 billion in free money for college.
Sallie Mae graduate school scholarships. Start your search, plus register for the Sallie Mae $1,000 monthly sweepstakes.
College Ave Student Loans Scholarship
Enter to win our College Ave Student Loans scholarship and you could win $1,000 for school.
Up to $3 billion in scholarships matched to you!
Adaptive scholarship matching engine connects you with scholarships tailored just for you! Scholly search turns the process of finding money for college from months into minutes. Find out how to register for their weekly $1,000 Scholarship Giveaway here
Two birds, one stone. We will double your scholarship wins!
Study.com College Scholarships for LGBTQ Students
NEIU Star Scholar
In recognition of the educational excellence of Chicago's Star Scholarship students, City Colleges of Chicago (CCC) Star Scholars who gradate from CCC with an associate degree and a minimum GPA of a 3.0 will be admitted to Northeastern Illinois University and will be eligible to receive an NEIU Star Scholar Award. Learn more about the Star Scholarship.
- Be a Star Scholarship award winner enrolled at City Colleges of Chicago (CCC)
- Complete an associate degree at CCC prior to transferring to NEIU with at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Complete FAFSA to determine financial aid eligibility
- Complete 30 semester hours per year at NEIU
- Declare a major at NEIU
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA at NEIU to be considered for renewal
Brommel Doctoral Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship is to support doctoral study for alumni who have received either bachelor’s or master’s degrees from Northeastern Illinois University who meet the specified criteria as stipulated by the donor, Dr. Bernard J. Brommel. For more information, please contact Dr. Timothy Libretti, Brommel Doctoral Committee Chair, at email@example.com.
Valued at more than $60,000 during the course of four academic years, the Presidential Scholarship covers full in-state tuition, fees, and provides a book allowance. Each year, six new Presidential Scholars are selected.
Established in 2000, the first Northeastern Illinois University Presidential Scholarship was awarded to a recipient who after graduating from NEIU, attended and completed law school and is now a practicing attorney in Chicago. The Presidential Scholarship Program attracts graduating high school seniors who demonstrate strong academic promise from the Chicago metropolitan and suburban areas. Through the support of this scholarship students are able to concentrate on their academic studies and be engaged in college life.
Recipients of this scholarship major in academic fields such as business, music, social work, chemistry, education, biology and psychology, just to name a few. Presidential Scholars receive automatic admission into the University Honors Program, take advantage of study abroad opportunities, and are involved in a variety of student organizations on campus, which enhance their leadership skills and commitment to service learning. This opportunity is open to incoming beginning freshman only. The application deadline is March 15.
- Academic Grade Point Average: 3.50 minimum
- ACT cumulative score of 25 or greater
- Early Deadline: February 15
- Priority Deadline: March 15
- Final Deadline: April 1
NEIU Phi theta kappa scholarship
- Minimum 3.5 GPA and an A.A. or A.S. degree.
- Student must also be a full-time resident of Illinois.
- Enroll at NEIU immediately following completion of associate degree (in the fall).
- Pursuing first bachelor’s degree.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from Phi Theta Kappa advisor to confirm members and active participation in college’s PTK chapter.
The scholarship covers tuition (not fees) for the first 60 credit hours at NEIU. A recipient must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher and participate in the University Honors Program. The deadline to apply is June 3. The scholarship is awarded in the fall only.
For further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Merit, Talent, and Opportunity Scholarships
The College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business and Management, Daniel L. Goodwin College of Education, Nontraditional Degree Programs, and the University Honors Programs offer merit awards for high achieving students. Award amounts vary and cover tuition only. Open to new freshman and transfer students as well as continuing students. Apply here.
- Freshman selection is based upon high school class rank (upper 15 percent), ACT composite score of 24 (25 for University Honors Program), GPA range of 3.0-3.50, essay, and letter of recommendation.
- Transfers and continuing students selection is based upon a GPA range of 3.0-3.50 depending upon the program, essay and letters of recommendation.
- Please utilize the online search and application tool to view scholarship criteria and to apply.