We would like to extend a warm welcome to you from the NEIU Summer Bridge Program. The NEIU Summer Bridge Program is designed to prepare students for college coursework and offers two sessions to strengthen your confidence in English and math.
Why should I join?
By participating in the Summer Bridge program, you can save time and money, build confidence in your English and math abilities and meet other students, faculty and staff before you begin classes this fall.
Save time and money
This FREE program can help you save up to $4,000 on tuition and fees.
Save time to graduation.
- Free lunch provided daily.
- Strengthen confidence in your English and math abilities.
- Participating can help you successfully place into at least one higher level math or English course for the Fall 2018 semester.
- Participating can help you build a strong English and math foundation, which will help you succeed in your future classes.
- Participate in social events.
- Interact with peer leaders, make new friends and form study groups.
- Get to know faculty, staff and other students before you start in Fall 2018.
- Get to know the NEIU campus.
- The math workshops that you will participate in during the math sessions are modeled after the successful Peer Led Team Learning and Emerging Scholars Program models, which are nationally recognized for helping students succeed in mathematics.
- Personalized action plans to help you succeed in math.
If you are an incoming first-year student admitted for the upcoming fall semester, this FREE summer program is for you! Gain the skills needed to successfully place into at least one higher level math or English course for the fall semester. If you qualify, you may take one or both of the three-week sessions.
|English (3 weeks)||July 2-19, 2018*||M-Th,
9 a.m.-3 p.m.
|To participate, you must place into ELP 095, ELP 096 or ELP 097.|
|Math (3 weeks)||July 23-Aug. 9, 2018||M-Th,
9 a.m.-3 p.m.
|To participae, you must place into MATH 090, 091 or 092.|
*The English session will not meet on July 4.
How do I get started?
- You must be an incoming first-year student admitted for the upcoming fall semester or a current NEIU student.
- You must take the NEIU Placement Test in English and math in the year 2018 to see if you qualify for NEIU Summer Bridge Program. Register for the test online, or call (773) 442-5293. View resources to help you prepare for the math placement test.
- If you qualify for NEIU Summer Bridge Program, you will receive an email with instructions on how to register for the program.
- A member of the NEIU Summer Bridge Program team will follow up with you.
Program Success Rates
The NEIU Summer Bridge Program participants are having great success:
|Students completing the program||26||29||34||59|
|Students advancing at least one level||17||28||33||52|
|Students completing the program||79||93||80||85|
|Students advancing at least one level||58||66||51||50|
*Math 090 students composed half of our participants during 2016 and 2017, making the population significantly different from prior years.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I have to participate in both sessions?
A: You may choose to participate in one or both of the sessions, based on your eligibility.
Q: Do I have to attend each day? Do I have to stay for the entire day?
A: For each session that you select, you are expected to attend and participate in the opening ceremony, the entire session including daily social events, and the closing ceremony. This includes arriving on time each day, staying until the session ends each day, and participating in a productive and respectful way when present during each day of the program.
Q: What happens once I complete the program?
A: Students who complete the program will be given the opportunity to retake the placement test (math, English or both depending on the sessions you complete). After you retake the placement test, you will meet with an academic advisor to determine if you need to be placed into a higher level math and/or English course.
We would be happy to answer any questions that you have about this beneficial program!
- If you have any questions about the English Session, please contact John Armour at firstname.lastname@example.org or (773) 442-4536.
- If you have any questions about the Math Session, please contact Katherine Bird at email@example.com or (773) 442-5754.