SEEDS Literary & Visual Arts Journal is a student-run, community-focused organization that values access to and innovative approaches to learning and scholarship. We publish poetry, prose, fiction/non-fiction, hybrid work, research, essay and visual art. If your work or a representation of your work can be printed on a page, we encourage you to submit!
At SEEDS, we aspire to reflect the remarkable community of writers living throughout the greater Chicago area. Our goal is to lift the voices of not only the Northeastern community but also those we live and work among. Our submissions are open to all, within and outside of any formal institution.
We believe in the collective power of collaboration and aspire to provide a platform free of elitism and hierarchy. To that end, our journal adheres to Northeastern’s policies on creating safe spaces for expression and scholarship. We are committed to fostering an environment that is anti-racist, anti-heterosexist, anti-transphobic, anti-Islamophobic, anti-ageist, anti-sexist, anti-ableist and anti-imperialist. Submissions that violate this policy will not be accepted.
If you're interested in becoming part of the SEEDS team, please complete the NEIU Student Media Interest Form, email email@example.com. You can also reach out to our faculty advisor or student media coordinator listed below.
If you're interested in submitting to SEEDS, please read and carefully follow our submission guidelines below. Help us spread the word! We are so excited to read your work.
SEEDS ARS (A Reading Series)
Thursday, Nov. 19, 2020
Join with Google Meet or via phone (US) +1 401-646-2224 (PIN: 963936955)
Join SEEDS Literary & Visual Arts journal for a free, open to the public reading for those who wish to listen and share your thoughts as expressed in the written word. All forms of written work, original or of another author will be heard and are welcome in this showcase. Student participation is encouraged. For information, please send us an email.
Submissions for the Spring 2021 issue of SEEDS are open now until Jan. 25, 2021.
- Complete the Seeds 2021 Journal Submission Form.
- Complete a separate form for each submission.
- You may submit once to each category. Send us your best work. Multiple submissions in the same categories may not be accepted.
- You may submit one to three poems, one piece of prose (up to 4,000 words; you may slightly exceed this limit), or two smaller pieces of prose (1,000 word limit) as a .rtf, .doc, or .docx.
- Prose may include fiction, non-fiction, essay, memoir, scripts, among others.
- You may submit no more than three pieces of visual art as a .jpg at 300 dpi or higher.
- Hybrid or serial work should be submitted as one document. More details on this within our submission form.
Seeds policy on publishing and artist's rights:
If accepted for publication, SEEDS Literary & Visual Arts Journal reserves the right to publish your work in print and in digital form in perpetuity. SEEDS acquires first rights, which means that we do not publish previously published work. Work shared informally on personal websites or blogs and has gone through revision will be considered on a case-by-case basis. All rights revert to the artist upon publication and pieces may be reprinted. However, we request SEEDS is acknowledged in subsequent publications.
Faculty Advisor: Amanda Goldblatt
Student Media Coordinator: Dennis Sagel