Visit SEEDS Literary & Visual Arts Journal online!
SEEDS Literary & Visual Arts Journal is a student-run, community-focused organization that values access to and innovative approaches to learning and scholarship. We publish poetry, prose, fiction/non-fiction, hybrid work, research, essay and visual art. If your work or a representation of your work can be printed on a page, we encourage you to submit!
At SEEDS, we aspire to reflect the remarkable community of writers living throughout the greater Chicago area. Our goal is to lift the voices of not only the Northeastern community but also those we live and work among. Our submissions are open to all, within and outside of any formal institution.
We believe in the collective power of collaboration and aspire to provide a platform free of elitism and hierarchy. To that end, our journal adheres to Northeastern’s policies on creating safe spaces for expression and scholarship. We are committed to fostering an environment that is anti-racist, anti-heterosexist, anti-transphobic, anti-Islamophobic, anti-ageist, anti-sexist, anti-ableist and anti-imperialist. Submissions that violate this policy will not be accepted.
This year, SEEDS is excited to publish a smaller zine during the fall semester along with our yearly spring journal. Submissions are currently closed. Please check back soon for details on submitting.
Submissions for our spring journal are now open. Please read and carefully follow our submission guidelines below. Help us spread the word! We are so excited to read your work.
Submissions to the Spring 2020 journal are due Jan. 21, 2020.
- Please upload your work to our 2020 spring journal submission form.
- Complete a separate form for each submission.
- You may submit once to each category. Send us your best work. Multiple submissions in the same categories may not be accepted.
- You may submit one to three poems, one piece of prose (up to 4,000 words; you may slightly exceed this limit), or two smaller pieces of prose (1,000 word limit) as a .rtf, .doc, or .docx.
- Prose may include fiction, non-fiction, essay, memoir, scripts, among others.
- You may submit no more than three pieces of visual art as a .jpg at 300 dpi or higher.
- Hybrid or serial work should be submitted as one document. More details on this within our submission form.
Seeds policy on publishing and artist's rights:
If accepted for publication, SEEDS Literary & Visual Arts Journal reserves the right to publish your work in print and in digital form in perpetuity. SEEDS acquires first rights, which means that we do not publish previously published work. Work shared informally on personal websites or blogs and has gone through revision will be considered on a case-by-case basis. All rights revert to the artist upon publication and pieces may be reprinted. However, we request SEEDS is acknowledged in subsequent publications.
Phone: (773) 442-4582
Faculty advisor: Amanda Goldblatt