Message from the Board of Trustees
January 18, 2024
Dear Members of the Northeastern Illinois University Community,
We are excited to announce the search for the eighth President of Northeastern Illinois University. The Board of Trustees is committed to an inclusive, structured and disciplined search process. Further, we are steadfast in our commitment to ensuring that the search committee reflects and prioritizes the diversity of the Northeastern Illinois University campus community.
To guide this critical endeavor, the Board has engaged the services of AGB Search, who specializes in executive searches exclusively for higher education institutions. With over 300 successful presidential searches, AGB Search’s expertise in understanding institutional needs and culture will be invaluable in attracting a strong and diverse pool of leadership candidates.
An essential step in this process included the diligent formation of the Search Committee, drawn from various groups within our University, including the Board of Trustees, faculty, students, staff and union representatives.
We are dedicated to involving the NEIU community throughout this process. Input from the Northeastern Illinois University Community is crucial, and there will be multiple opportunities for the community to share their thoughts, insights and perspectives on the essential qualities and priorities for our next President. These include:
- An online survey for your valuable insights and preferences.
- Virtual listening sessions for direct feedback.
- Regular updates and information on the progress of the search through the website and email communications.
On behalf of the Board of Trustees, we eagerly look forward to your participation and input in shaping the leadership future of Northeastern Illinois University.
Betty Fleurimond, Trustee
Search Committee Chair
About Northeastern Illinois University
Founded in 1867, Northeastern has a rich tradition of educational innovation and prides itself on preparing teachers and administrators who make a difference in Chicago. That tradition continues to this day and has expanded to include an array of academic disciplines, allowing the University to embrace fully the community in which it resides.
Northeastern is regarded as one of the most diverse public comprehensive universities in the Midwest and is designated by the U.S. Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution. Diversity is an important factor in the character of Northeastern and in the social fabric of its student body. The University has an enrollment of more than 5,700 students; African American, Hispanic, Asian, Native American and Hawaiian Pacific students represent about 57 percent of the student body.
With a Main Campus located on roughly 67 acres in an attractive residential area on the Northwest Side of Chicago, the University offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, education, and business. The University has additional locations in the metropolitan area: the Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies and El Centro. Northeastern is also a founding member of the University Center of Lake County consortium campus in suburban Lake County.
Northeastern Illinois University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, Illinois 60602, telephone number (312) 263-0456 or (800) 621-7440. The Higher Learning Commission web address is www.hlcommission.org.
Affirmative Action, University Outreach and Equal Employment
Northeastern Illinois University subscribes to the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action and does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of age, color, disability, genetic information, national origin, ancestry, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military status, veteran status, or arrest record.
Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI)
Northeastern Illinois University is a federally designated Hispanic-Serving Institution. Northeastern Illinois University is a public four-year university in the Midwest federally designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution.
Mission and Vision Statement
In all communications where the University’s Mission and Vision statements appear together, the Vision Statement should precede the Mission Statement as shown below.
Vision Statement: Northeastern Illinois University will be a leader among metropolitan universities, known for its dedication to its urban mission, for the quality of its programs, for the success of its graduates, and for the diversity of its learning environment.
Mission Statement: Northeastern Illinois University, as a public comprehensive university with locations throughout Chicago, provides an exceptional environment for learning, teaching, and scholarship. We prepare a diverse community of students for leadership and service in our region and in a dynamic multicultural world.
University Facts as of Spring 2023
- A fully accredited public university serving more than 5,700 students in the Chicago area with an affordable, high-quality academic experience
- A population richly diverse in ethnicity, culture, age, and language
- Faculty who are dedicated to excellence in instruction, research, and public service
- More than 80 undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, education and business
- A leader in the development of special programs for adult learners and innovative non-traditional education alternatives
- Exchange programs and study experiences in several international locations
- Opportunities to integrate classroom instruction with field-based learning, research and service
- A wealth of student organizations and cultural events
- Founded in 1867 as a teacher training institution
- Main 67-acre campus is located in a residential neighborhood on the Northwest Side of Chicago
- Among the most affordable public universities in Illinois
- Study abroad programs provide students with opportunity to spend time overseas while earning credit toward graduation
- Satellite locations in ethnically diverse Chicago neighborhoods and in Lake County
- El Centro
- Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies
- University Center of Lake County