Northeastern Illinois University is open for on-campus learning and work!
We work hard to create a campus environment that is focused on academic success and health. The University is following the guidelines set forth by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), and the City of Chicago, and follows a layered approach of health and safety measures to protect the NEIU community.
Northeastern Illinois University has an excellent track record of preventing COVID-19 transmission on campus. The vast majority of student and employee COVID-19 infections are acquired off campus. Diligent and prompt contact tracing has worked to prevent transmission.
What to Expect at the Start of the Spring 2023 semester
- Individuals are strongly encouraged to wear a high quality face mask, such as a three-layer surgical mask, KN95 or N95 respirator mask to protect against the omicron variant and any emerging variants. Surgical, KN95, and/or N95 masks will be available at all locations.
- Northeastern highly recommends that all students, faculty and staff get vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19. Vaccination is the leading prevention strategy against COVID-19. Local vaccination information is available at vaccines.gov and Chicago COVID-19 Vaccine Finder. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is no longer required for students or employees.
- A daily symptom self-check prior to coming to campus is encouraged. Employees and students who feel sick, especially those who are experiencing upper respiratory symptoms, should stay home. Check the CDC website for a list of all COVID-19 symptoms.
- Weekly diagnostic testing of unvaccinated students and employees is no longer required. NEIU Student Health Services will have COVID-19 rapid antigen tests available for symptomatic students and employees who are on campus. Tests will be available at all locations while supplies last. Free at-home COVID-19 test kits are available for order at COVID.gov.
- In accordance with new CDC guidelines, those who are exposed to COVID-19 do not need to quarantine. However, whether you are vaccinated or not, it is recommended that you wear a high-quality mask for 10 days and get tested on day five.
- Students who test positive for COVID-19 should immediately notify Student Health Services by phone at (773) 442-5800 or by email at email@example.com.
- Employees who test positive for COVID-19 should immediately notify Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ventilation and Disinfection
Northeastern will continue to use environmental health and hygiene measures:
- Improved ventilation and MERV 13 filters
- Hand sanitizers and disinfectant wipes available at all University locations
- Plexiglass barriers
- Periodic fogging of location spaces