The Reading Teacher Endorsement PK-12 is designed to meet the need for informed and trained instructional leaders in literacy education.
For students admitted to graduate programs after Fall 1997, all graduate credits must be at the 400 level or above.
Credit hours required: 18
The program admits students for the fall, spring and summer semesters.
Candidates must meet the requirements for admission to the College of Graduate Studies and Research and any additional requirements for admission to the Graduate Programs in Literacy Education. Candidates seeking a Master of Arts in Literacy Education or a Reading Teacher Endorsement PK-12 must provide evidence of:
- A current Illinois professional educator license endorsed for teaching
- A minimum grade point average of 2.75 in undergraduate work with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 in the education major coursework
- Submission of a 500-word written essay focused on professional experiences and goals
- Two letters of recommendation
In addition to these requirements, candidates seeking admission to the Master of Arts in Literacy Education leading to a Reading Specialist/Literacy Coaching Endorsement must present evidence of a minimum of one year full-time teaching experience as the teacher of record. The Illinois State Board of Education requires a minimum of two years teaching experience as teacher of record in Illinois to qualify for Reading Specialist (K-12) endorsement.
The endorsement program objectives are:
- to increase candidates' knowledge of the nature and scope of literacy processes
- to advance professional growth in the teaching of literacy
- to provide specialized training in assessment and interventional for students who struggle with reading and writing
- to prepare candidates to effectively address literacy challenges students may experience with state-mandated assessments
- to prepare candidates for leadership in literacy instructional planning, curriculum development, and professional support
Academic Catalog Information
Take a closer look at the Reading Teacher Endorsement PK-12 and the courses offered toward the program.
Department and Contact Information
If you are interested in the program or have questions, please contact Literacy, Leadership and Development.
Northeastern Illinois University is home to students from all corners of the world and is one of the most ethnically diverse universities in the nation. Our small class sizes, flexible schedules and dedicated faculty can help you succeed in your studies.
We offer an education with value.