GROW YOUR OWN ILLINOIS
Grow Your Own (GYO) Illinois is a 501c3 non-profit that advances the efforts of the GYO consortia to achieve equity, excellence and diversity in the new teacher pipeline and the teaching force. The priorities of GYO Illinois include:
- Creating a pipeline of highly qualified teachers of color (GYO defines highly qualified as pedagogical and subject matter content mastery and a high degree of cultural competence).
- Supporting GYO teachers once they are in the classroom.
- Advocating to close the teacher-student diversity gap across Illinois.
NEIU education majors are eligible to apply for financial, academic and career support from GYO. Candidates for support will need to provide the following:
- College transcripts and/or proof of a high school degree (or GED)
- A writing sample
- Two letters of recommendation.
Basic eligibility requirements include a GED or high school diploma, Illinois residency, and a demonstrated commitment to equity, excellence and diversity. For more information, click on the link below, or contact GYO at email@example.com or (773) 322-7419.
If accepted, NEIU teacher candidates receive individual mentoring and a wide range of supports including:
- Financial assistance for tuition, books, and fees
- Academic support with a coordinator who keeps candidates on track to graduate
- Wrap-around services that support candidates, even when the unexpected happens
- A peer group of prospective teachers who meet monthly to build relationships and prepare for the classroom
Who are GYO candidates?
- Staff working in their local schools who have a desire to pursue classroom teaching.
- Community members who are interested in enrolling in or returning to college with the intent of becoming a licensed teacher.
- Undergraduates who are interested in pursuing a career in teaching, but have not yet been admitted to their college of education.
- Students already enrolled in a college of education or a master’s degree program to obtain a teaching license.