Multiple requirements must be met prior to participation in any course, other than EDFN courses, that includes a field-based component. These are listed below and apply to all students, including those pursuing a focused program of study to obtain a subsequent Illinois Teaching License.

Requirements for Field Experience Eligibility

  • GPA of 2.5/4.0 for all NEIU coursework.
  • GPA of 2.75/4.0 in all professional education and academic major coursework within the Goodwin College of Education.
  • Grades of “C” or better in all professional education coursework required within the teacher licensure program being pursued.
  • All “I” grades converted to grades of “C” or better in professional education and academic major coursework.
  • Evidence of freedom from tuberculosis dated less than one year prior to the start of observations and clinical experiences and less than 90 days prior to the start of student teaching.
  • Grade of “B” or better in all previous clinical experiences unless the course is being re-taken for a second time.
  • Any additional requirements established by the academic department or program in which the course is housed or defined within a Remediation Plan.
  • Evidence of CPS Field Experience Approval prior to the start of a pre-student teaching clinical experience.
  • Evidence of CPS Student Teaching Approval prior to the start of the student teaching experience.
  • Approval of the respective academic department and/or program.
  • Evidence of passing the Illinois Certification Testing System test for the appropriate content area prior to student teaching.
  • Attendance at one clinical or student teaching information session one year in advance of their field-based clinical, internship, or student teaching course.
  • Submission of the CEST clinical or student teaching application by the established deadline.
  • Additional requirements apply for MAT graduate students, including maintaining a 3.00 GPA. Please contact the Teacher Education Department or Educational Inquiry and Curriculum Studies Department for further information. 
  • Additional requirements also apply for Special Education fieldwork experiences. Please contact the Special Education Department for specific information.