Important Information - Please Read Carefully
Important Background Check Information
Illinois schools and school districts require federal and State of Illinois fingerprint-based criminal background checks prior to individuals entering school buildings to conduct observation hours, pre-student teaching clinical experiences, and student teaching.
Prior conviction of certain felonies may preclude State Teacher Licensure. Candidates should contact the Licensure Officer at email@example.com before declaring a major in any licensure program. Prior conviction of certain felonies also may preclude placement in certain field experiences. Individuals must notify the Clinical Experiences and Student Teaching Office at firstname.lastname@example.org of any felony convictions prior to placement in any field experience.
Observation and Pre-Student Teaching Background Check Requirements
Teacher candidates conducting observation hours or a pre-student teaching clinical experience at a CPS school must successfully complete the CPS Field Experience Registration process. This process includes a CPS Field Experience Background Check which must be conducted at an Accurate Biometrics location.
To complete the CPS Field Experience Registration, please follow the below process.
- Register through Complete the Field Experience Registration - scroll down to mid-page under 'Field Experience' section. For detailed instructions on how to fill out specific fields in the CPS form, review CPS Registration Process Instructions.
- Visit Accurate Biometrics with these forms: CPS Field Experience Fingerprinting Forms
- Teacher candidates who are asked to submit additional background check materials by the CPS Background Check Office must comply with the provided instructions by the CPS deadline given.
- Within 3-4 weeks, teacher candidates will receive their CPS Field Experience Approval via their NEIU email account. Candidates must present their CPS Field Experience Approval to the front desk the first time they visit a CPS school site.
- CPS Field Experience Approvals must be used within 90 days of the date on the Approval notice. If not presented to a CPS school site within 90 days, the CPS Field Experience Approval becomes invalid.
- Once presented at a CPS school site, the CPS Field Experience Approval notice is valid for two years.
Teacher candidates who conduct observation hours or a pre-student teaching clinical experience at a non-CPS must successfully complete the school’s/district’s background check requirement prior to beginning their observation hours or pre-student teaching clinical experience. Teacher candidates will receive background check instructions from the CEST Office or the school/school district.
Student Teaching Background Check Requirements
Student teachers must complete a new federal and State of Illinois background check within 90 days of the start of their student teaching experience.
Teacher candidates conducting their student teaching in a CPS school must complete the CPS Student Teaching Background Check requirement as part of the CPS Student Teaching Application.
- Candidates conducting their student teaching in a CPS school will receive CPS background check instructions from the CEST Office as soon as the CPS Student Teaching Application is available for the respective semester.
Teacher candidates conducting their student teaching in a non-CPS school must complete their placement site’s background check requirement by the deadline provided by the non-CPS school or the CEST Office.
- Candidates conducting their student teaching in a non-CPS school will receive their placement site’s background check instructions from the CEST Office or respective non-CPS school/district.