Both undocumented and international students are entitled to Title IX protections that prohibit sexual violence regardless of immigration status. The University’s Sexual Harassment Policy applies to all students at NEIU. Undocumented and international students are encouraged to reach out to the University’s Confidential Advisor for emergency and ongoing support related to sexual violence.  The Confidential Advisor is not required to notify the Title IX Coordinator or NEIU of any sexual violence reports. 

NEIU’s Confidential Advisors

Jennifer Knuepfer, Staff Psychologist
Student Counseling Services
Room B 119
(773) 442-4650

DeWitt Scott, Director
Angelina Pedroso Center for Diversity and Intercultural Affairs
Room B 163
(773) 442-5372

Kim Tasigchana, Women's Health Nurse
Student Health Services, Room E 051
(773) 442-5804


Undocumented and international students may seek a court order of protection (off campus) and/or NEIU’s No Contact Order (on-campus only) for safety reasons. For more information, please contact Title IX Coordinator Natalie Brouwer Potts at (773) 442-5412 or

For more information or assistance regarding immigration status and sexual violence concerns, please visit the Community Resources page

Additional Resources

Options for Undocumented and International Student Survivors of Dating or Domestic Violence, Stalking, and Sexual Assault 

Disclaimer: The information is provided below for general informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional and/or legal advice.

Know Your Rights

It’s important for you to be aware of the rights you have in the U.S. as an international student and/or undocumented student. 

To know more about your rights, please visit the ACLU Know Your Immigrants' Rights page 

Reduced Course Load Request For International Student Survivor of Sexual Violence

  • It is very common for student survivors of gender-based violence to either reduce their course load or take a break from school. International students with student visas should take into account that if they temporarily withdraw or drop below a full-time course load, they must receive approval from their Designated School Official (DSO) for F-1 visas or Alternate Regional Officer (RO) for J-1 visas, beforehand in order to avoid jeopardizing their status. If a student withdraws or reduces their course load without first getting approval from their DSO/RO, they will fall out of status.
  • Students are not required to tell their DSO/RO about a Title IX violation. 
  • DSOs/ROs can allow international students to temporarily withdraw or reduce their course loads without jeopardizing their status for two reasons:
    • Academic: International students are allowed to withdraw or reduce their course load only once (for first semester) during their academic program for academic reasons. If the person that harmed the student was part of the campus community (i.e. another student, faculty, staff,) students can argue this was the direct cause of their “academic difficulties.”
    • Medical: International students are allowed to withdraw or reduce their course load for up to 12 months due to medical reasons. In order to take medical leave, students are required to provide official documentation from a medical doctor and/or clinical psychologist.
  • If an international student falls out of status for less than five months, they can apply for reinstatement. In this instance, students must provide sufficient evidence to argue that the reason they fell out of status is “serious illness or injury.” Evidence includes, but is not limited to medical, psychological, and police records.
  • Students are required to fill out the Reduced Course Load Form and submit it to their DSO/RO.

Questions? Contact the Office of International Programs:

Cris Toffolo, Interim Director
Office of International Programs
(773) 442-5493

Right to Translator

All individuals regardless of immigration status are entitled to an interpreter when:

  • Talking to the police
  • Accessing court services
  • Participating in court hearings
  • Visiting the hospital

To request an interpreter, an individual simply has to call or visit and say, “I need a [insert language here] interpreter/translator.” 

The following community organizations have the following language capacities, and also employ trained staff who have experience working with survivors:

Immigration Relief Options

You might be eligible for a nonimmigrant visa if you are a victim or witness to certain crimes, including sexual assault and domestic violence. We strongly recommend you consult with our community partners for assistance.

U Visa: Immigration Relief for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Other Crimes

A victim of sexual assault or domestic violence who is willing to comply with the law enforcement investigation or prosecution may qualify for a U visa. With a U visa, the victim can live and work lawfully in the U.S. for four years. After the victim has held a U visa for three years, they have the possibility of adjusting their status.

VAWA: Immigration Relief for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Other Crimes

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows an abused spouse or child of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or an abused parent of a U.S. citizen, to self-petition for lawful status in the United States, receive employment authorization, and access public benefits. VAWA provides domestic violence survivors with the means that are essential to escaping violence and establishing safe, independent lives. 

For more information visit: 


As you’re thinking about reporting sexual violence, it is important to know the following about confidentiality: 

  • In Illinois, if you receive any services from a domestic violence or sexual assault agency, those agencies cannot tell anyone outside their agency that you have received their services. They can’t talk to your family, your doctor, or the University unless you give them permission to do so. 
  • The only time that a domestic violence or sexual assault agency can break confidentiality without your permission is if you tell them that you are planning to hurt yourself or to hurt someone else.
  • If you report to any NEIU employee, they are mandatory reporters required to share the information with the Title IX Office, which will reach out to you to try to help you. There are several offices at NEIU that are confidential and are not required to report sexual violence to the Title IX Office: Confidential Advisor, Office of Student Counseling Services, Office of Student Health Services, and Ombuds.

Additional Resources