Provided below is useful information to help you navigate NEIU and the city of Chicago. We hope these resources will ease your transition to campus, and enhance your time with us. Please feel free to contact OIP if you don't find what you need below.

Student Handbook

The Student Handbook provide a reference for all students, faculty and administrative staff regarding policies, procedures and regulations in various areas of campus life.

Student Viewbook

We have created a Viewbook for our international and exchange students who want to know about student life in NEIU. Students will find information about campus life, student services, academic opportunities etc. 

Social Security 

Social Security number (SSN): SSNs are issued for working and tax purposes only. You cannot apply for an SSN for identification purposes.
To apply you will need: 

  • Job offer letter 

  • Letter from DSO/PDSO/ARO/RO 

  • I-94 

  • Visa 

  • Passport 

  • I-20/DS-2019 

We will not write you a letter if you do not have a job.  

If the student has an offer letter from an employer, they can request a letter by submitting the Student Letter Request Form. You cannot start working until you obtain an SSN card. 

Driver’s License 

A river’s license may be obtained through the Illinois Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Find the closest DMV near you and apply through the office. 

F-1 students can apply for a driver’s license, whereas J-1 students can apply only for a temporary driver's license. 

Documents needed to apply: 

  • Valid passport 

  • SEVIS record 

  • Proof of written signature 

  • Residential documents 

  • Bank statement, rental/lease agreement, tuition invoice, or other official mail from school, utility bill 

  • Payment fee 

  • Vehicle, and vehicle insurance 

  • Letter from DSO/ARO 

Fill in the driver's license request form in order to get a letter from the OIP office.


Chicago is well known for its efficient public transportation. You can find many buses and trains functioning all day.  


Students enrolled full-time will be given a U-Pass that can be used within Chicago. This does not apply to SAELL students. Taxis and ride-share options such as Lyft and Uber are also prevalent in Chicago. 


The most popular banks in the U.S are: 

Visit the bank office for further questions or when opening an account. International F-1 Students will need their passport, I-20 and I-94 to open an account. Exchange J-1 students will need their passport, DS-2019 and I-94 to open an account. 


Northeastern offers on-campus housing through The Nest

Apartments can be rented outside of the University. Search for apartments near the 60625 zip code on these websites: 

Health Insurance 

Northeastern Illinois University makes it mandatory for students to have health insurance.

There have been many cases where a student has been ill or who had a medical emergency and did not have insurance to cover expensive doctors/medical visits and procedures. DON’T BE THAT STUDENT. GET HEALTH INSURANCE. 

If you have insurance coverage from your home country, make sure it covers you abroad. 

Students are required to have medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits. 

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness 

  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000 

  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000 

  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness. 

Please check some of the health insurance companies listed below: 

Cell Phones

The top four communication service providers in the United States are: 


Chicago has a wide range of tourist places to visit; some of the mesmerizing and famous spots are: 

  • Millennium Park, 201 East Randolph Street, Chicago, Illinois 

  • Navy Pier, 600 East Grand Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 

  • 360 Chicago, 875 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 

For more ideas, visit Chicago's official site for visitors