Summer 2023 U-Pass Details

USAGE PERIOD: May 22-Aug. 10, 2023

The CTA U-Pass will be active from the beginning of the summer term on May 22, and will stay active through the end of the summer, on Aug. 10. The U-Pass fee will be charged to all full-time students. There is no opt-out option available for this semester. If you have any questions or concerns, please email


  • For the spring, summer and fall semesters, full-time is defined as 12 credit hours minimum for undergraduate students and 9 credit hours minimum for graduate students.
  • As of Fall 2022, the cost is $155 for the semester. 
  • You cannot waive the fee unless you fall into one of these categories:
    • students who are para-transit dependent
    • students who are currently studying abroad
    • students who are taking all classes at UCLC (University Center of Lake County)
    • students who are Military Service Pass participant, as issued by the CTA
    • students who are CTA employees or CTA retirees
    • students who hold an RTA Free Ride or Reduced Fare Card holder (for example, senior citizens)

If you fall into one of the categories listed above that permit the fee to be waived, please email with your name, ID number and your situation, including a copy of the front and back of your card, if you hold one of the Free or Reduced Fare Cards. Your Fee Waiver Request must be received within the first 45 days of the semester you wish to receive a fee waiver. We cannot process fee waivers after the 45-day period.

Please note: It takes approximately three business days for your U-Pass to become active if your status changes from part-time to full-time.

Replacements for lost or stolen cards may be obtained at the Welcome Desk in Village Square (Information Center). The fee is $50.

Seven-day passes can be provided, if available, to students who are waiting on their first Ventra Card only. Students who have lost, damaged or had their card stolen are not able to receive a seven-day pass.

Important CTA cutoff date

If your student status changes from full-time to part-time after 45 days:

  • You will be able to continue using your U-Pass until the end of the semester
  • You will still be charged for the U-Pass

Transferring a U-Pass from another school

If transferring from another school, you can still use the same U-Pass, however, the information needs to be transferred to Northeastern. Please visit the Welcome Desk with your U-Pass to get your U-Pass transferred. 

Expiring cards

If your U-Pass is expiring and you are enrolled full-time, a new U-Pass will be ordered for you to pick up at the Welcome Desk before the expiration date. New cards are valid for seven years and may be used as a reloadable Ventra fare card when school is not in session, or when you are enrolled below the full-time credit amount.

More Information

If you already have a Ventra U-Pass, it will automatically be reactivated as you become full-time and the semester begins (as long as your card isn't expired; it is good for seven years). Similarly, the pass is automatically deactivated if you change to part-time status or the semester ends, where it can then be used as a reloadable fare card.

If you become full-time after the semester has started and already have a Ventra U-Pass, please allow 48-72 hours from when you become full-time for your U-Pass function to be activated. Those who are full-time the business day before classes begin (or before, excluding weekends) will have full privileges on the first day of class.

One of the conveniences of Ventra is you can continue to use the same U-Pass card when school is out of session. During those periods, your U-Pass card will function just like a standard reloadable Ventra Card. In order to use it, you must add funds to your account and your U-Pass will work as a regular Ventra Card instead of receiving the U-Pass unlimited riding privileges on days school is not in session. You will be charged full fares for your rides for rail and bus during school breaks. 

This practice replaces the need to use a separate fare card when school is not in session.

It’s easy and convenient to add money to your Ventra Card. You can add funds or load an unlimited-ride one-day, three-day, seven-day or 30-day pass with Ventra online if you have a registered transit account; at any Ventra vending machine located at CTA rail stations and at hundreds of participating retail locations. Visit the Ventra website to find a location near you. You can also add the Ventra app to your phone and have access to the information whenever you need it.

Your Ventra U-Pass unlimited riding privilege automatically resumes when your next full-time term begins. Please note your transit account must be in good standing (i.e. you cannot have a negative balance) prior to your next qualifying term for U-Pass privileges.

Also, please do not discard or lose your U-Pass; if you do not have the card when school resumes, there is a $50 fee to replace your U-Pass. The card is valid for seven years from the date of issuance, and you may use the card as a standard Ventra Card in between semesters or in semesters when you are enrolled part-time.

Find more information about how U-Pass functions when school is out of session.

If you require assistance you may contact us at or (773) 442-INFO (4636). Additionally, you may contact Ventra Customer Service directly at or by calling (877) 669-8368.