All Northeastern Illinois University students are required to have a Northeastern photo identification (ID) card issued by the University.
Photo ID cards are issued at the Welcome Desk of the Student Union (across from the NEIU Bookstore). Call (773) 442-4290 for current schedule or questions.
Northeastern photo ID cards are mandatory to:
- Check out books and materials from the Library.
- Gain access to the Physical Education Complex for classes or recreational activities.
- Verify status for University-sponsored events and activities.
- Pick up checks disbursed by the University.
- Request information regarding your records at the Enrollment Services Center, Cashier’s Office, Student Loan Office and Accounts Receivable.
- Print, copy and scan documents at the University printers and multifunction devices.
Northeastern photo ID card can also be used as an add-value card in photocopiers, computer lab printers and Library microfilm printers. The magnetic strip on the back of the ID card can be encoded with a dollar value up to $25. To encode (or increase) the dollar value on an ID card, go to an on-campus "Add Value" station. Insert the card and a $5, $10 or $20 bill and the dollar value on the magnetic strip will be increased by that amount. Each time the ID card is used for a purchase, the dollar value encoded on the magnetic strip will be reduced by the amount of the transaction.
To obtain an ID Card, a student must present:
- Proof of enrollment for the current semester (i.e., a current Student Detail Schedule or Account Summary by Term), and
- A current photo ID such as a valid driver’s license, State ID, passport, or any government-issued ID.
The initial ID card is free for enrolled students; however, the replacement cost of a lost or missing ID is $10 for standard cards and $25 for residents of The Nest.
(Note: A replacement ID card resulting from damage or name change will be replaced at no cost as long as the original ID is presented at the time of replacement.)