Each year, Northeastern hosts a number of faculty members from universities worldwide who teach and/or perform research in a variety of academic disciplines, and we also receive professors from our partner universities. If you would like to hear more, please reach out to the Office of International Programs (OIP) at international-programs@neiu.edu or reach us at +1 (773) 442-4796.

Professors must reach out to the appropriate department in the area of concentration. You can view the department directory to contact the professor or department chair. Once you contact the department, they will notify us to help you submit the following documentation in order to be nominated, and also to obtain the DS-2019. Once you receive the documentation you will be able to apply for a J-1 visa.

Steps to Apply

STEP 1: reaching out to the Office of International Programs

There are strict requirements for Visiting Scholars regarding previous time spent in the United States and which visas they previously had. So the first step needs to be reaching out to the Office of International Programs by emailing m-nance@neiu.edu to confirm if they are eligible.

STEP 2: Contact the Department you will want to work for.

Reach out to the department chair to discuss your visiting and research intentions. You will need to find an NEIU scholar in that department who is willing to be your host here at NEIU.

*All visiting scholars will be required to go through a background check during the application process.  

STEP 3: You and your sponsor will need to fill out the following documents:

Visiting Scholar documents:

  1. A letter from the nominated scholar explaining why they want to come here, what they can provide us, and what we can provide them.
  2. A copy of their CV in English. 
  3. A copy of their passport (and the passports of a spouse or children they are bringing with them. The children will also need to provide birth certificates).
  4. The filled-out nomination form, which must be signed by a host scholar at NEIU (ignore the list of documents needed on this form.) (See the Forms tab.)
  5. A copy of the Visiting Scholar/Researcher Agreement, signed by both the nominated scholar and the host scholar (see the Forms tab.)
  6. A letter for the president of NEIU to sign inviting you to come as a visiting scholar (the template can be found in the nomination form file; it just has to be changed to President Gibson instead of the provost)
  7. The filled-out NEIU financial form (see the Forms tab.)
  8. Some kind of document showing that the funds the scholar needs for the visit (as identified in the financial form) are available to the scholar. It could be a bank statement or a letter from the source of the funds. (See the Forms tab.)
  9. The Visiting Scholar application (see the Forms tab).


Once we receive your application, nomination, your financial documentation and your passport, you will be given a DS-2019 for the duration of your program dates.  

Visa Process 

We will mail your approved letter and DS-2019. If you would like to have it expedited, we will send you a link to purchase your expedited label. Once you have all documentation you will need to pay for the I-901 SEVIS fee (i.e. the DS-2019 fee). Once you pay the I-901 fee, print it out to present it during your visa interview.  


The Pre-Arrival guide is a complete guide to help our international students, exchange students and visiting scholars get situated in Chicago. Please read and follow the pre-arrival guide. 

Health insurance

All J-1 visa holders and their dependents must have health insurance that will cover them during their whole stay in the U.S. in case of sickness or injury. You should obtain this coverage before entering the U.S.

Program participants and their dependents are required to have medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness 
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000 
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000 
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness. 


Once you have arrived to the U.S., please visit the Office of International Programs to validate your arrival to the Student and Exchange Visiting Information System (SEVIS). This will indicate that you have arrived in the U.S. and are maintaining your J-1 visa status. You will need to provide the following documentation:

  • J-1 visa copy 
  • Original financials 
  • Your U.S. residential address and telephone number  
  • Health insurance copy

Please note: We offer the opportunity to host visiting researchers and specialists. We cannot offer visiting teaching positions due to union regulations.