Departments at Northeastern Illinois University can invite visiting scholars, research professionals or specialists from outside the country to advance research, curricular and pedagogical agendas. The terms of such invitations are solely up to the needs and desires of the hosting department.
The request can come either from the department or directly from the visiting scholar. If a department wishes to host a scholar, please contact the Office of International Programs (OIP) very early in the process.
If OIP receives the request from the visiting scholar, we will reach out to the appropriate department. We recommend applying three to five months in advance of arrival to allow time to process the visa.
Northeastern is not obligated to help a scholar find housing. Visitors are welcome to apply to reside in The Nest, Northeastern's student housing. There are other options such as local apartments and hotels. The Turkish-American Cultural Society has limited, short-term housing available and is especially good if the scholar is coming from a Muslim country, although it's quite a distance from the University.
All visiting scholars must demonstrate proof of health insurance coverage for the duration of their stay. You may purchase this specifically for the U.S. if your existing policy is not adequate. Ask OIP for information. The criteria required by the U.S. Department of State are:
Program participants and their dependents are required to have medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness.
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000.
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000.
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
Visiting scholars can bring their spouse and/or children. They will need to provide additional funding to cover them and submit the following documentation to OIP to obtain the Dependent DS-2019 form.
- Copy of the spouse/child(s) passport copy
- Marriage certificate and/or child birth certificate
- Proof of funding demonstrating support for spouse/children
- Health insurance copy for each dependent
Upon arriving at Northeastern Illinois University, visiting scholars must report to the Office of International Programs to validate their participation. We will request the following information from the visiting scholar:
- Address of your residence in the U.S.
- U.S. phone number and email address
- Visa copy with entry stamp
- Original financial documentation
- Proof of health insurance
- Receipt of payment of NEIU visiting scholar fee.
- I-94 copy