THE NIH MARC U-STAR RESEARCH TRAINING SCHOLARSHIP
Application Deadline: Visit MARC website
- Available pool: $13,600 annually for 18-24 months in stipends
- Up to 12 credit hours of Illinois resident tuition at NEIU
- Two to four scholarships per year are awarded as determined by the selection committee
Purpose of Scholarship
- The purpose of this scholarship is to support and prepare undergraduate juniors and seniors for matriculation into Ph.D. (or M.D./Ph.D.) programs in biomedical/behavioral fields after graduation from NEIU
- be undergraduate students and declared majors at NEIU in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology with sophomore or junior status at the time of application submission. Freshmen are not eligible.
- have completed the majority of the curriculum in the first two years. The specific curriculum can be discussed with program directors.
- have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. Once in the program, students are expected to maintain a GPA of 3.5.
- be a first-generation college student with income eligibility and or a member of a group underrepresented in biomedical/behavioral graduate education
- be U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- have career goals to earn a doctoral degree in biomedical and/or behavioral fields
Download the Application from the MARC Website
For questions, please contact MARC Program Directors Dr. Emina A Stojkovic (Biology) at firstname.lastname@example.org; Dr. Breckie Church (Psychology) at email@example.com; Dr. Joseph Hibdon Jr. (Mathematics) at firstname.lastname@example.org or the general MARC office at email@example.com.
Merit Tuition Scholarship
College of Arts and Sciences
The College of Arts and Sciences provides a limited number of Merit Tuition Scholarships for interested and deserving undergraduates (Second Bachelor’s candidates are not eligible) within the College of Arts and Sciences. These scholarships are generally granted for 3-6 credit hours and students must be enrolled at least half-time. Scholarships will be granted on the basis of the student’s intended major, status, intended career/educational goals, transcripts and/or ACT/SAT scores and letter of recommendation.
- Transfer and NEIU continuing students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25.
- Students who have earned 45 credit hours at NEIU must be declared majors in the College of Arts and Sciences. Transfer students with more than 45 total hours must declare their major in the College of Arts and Sciences by their second semester at NEIU.
- Entering freshmen must be in the top 15 percent of their graduating class or have a minimum ACT score of 24 or SAT of 1110.
Applicants must submit a complete application including:
- A clear, coherent and detailed Intention of Career/Educational Goals attached to the application.
- A letter of recommendation from a professor/teacher (preferred), or counselor sent directly to the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Official college transcript (NEIU transcripts may be unofficial), or an official high school transcript reflecting class standing and ACT/SAT scores.
This award may be withdrawn in instances of substantiated academic misconduct or other violations of University standards pertaining to proper student conduct.
|Semester||Application and Documentation Due Date|
Scholarship applications are available at the Office of the Dean, College of Arts and Sciences (Room BBH 158), or can be downloaded (below). The application must be completely filled out, including all supporting documentation, and submitted to the Dean’s Office by the application deadline. The College Merit Tuition Scholarship Committee will review all applications and notify applicants approximately one month after the application deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Send application, personal statement (career/educational goals letter), and transcripts to the email/address below. The letter of recommendation must come directly from the author of the letter.
Office of the Dean, Room BBH 158
College of Arts and Sciences
Northeastern Illinois University
5500 North St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625-4699
Phone: (773) 442-5700
Fax: (773) 442-5710