Below are some reliable online resources that cover different health topics, as well as some general health resources.
Please note: These links to other sites are provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only. NEIU Student Health Services bears no responsibility for the quality of information provided through other sites and computer systems. Neither NEIU, Student Health Services, or the Division of Student Affairs endorse these organizations or the positions they may take on various issues.
Need to find a health center near you? Visit these websites to search for federally funded, free, low-cost, or sliding scale health center near you.
Need resources for affordable health insurance and medications? Visit these websites to understand your options.
Alcohol, Drug, and Other Substance Abuse
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: Facts on drugs and how they abuse your body.
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration: Information on where to find treatment, links and brochures.
- National Institute of Health: A federal resource on decreasing your drinking or quitting drinking altogether. Gives safe drinking tips.
- Overview of the Illinois Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act: Explains the legalization of cannabis in the state of Illinois and the new policies in place.
- Get help with drug addiction. A Narcotics Anonymous meeting search tool for Illinois meetings.
- Illinois Detox Centers for Drug & Alcohol Addiction. Drug and alcohol addiction resources in Illinois.
- Medline Plus: Provides information about treatment, diagnosis, and coping with eating disorders from various sources.
- Eating Disorder Hope Online Directory of Resources: Online database of all eating disorder resources in the U.S.
- National Eating Disorders Association: General resources and tips on addressing eating disorders.
- FoodSafety.gov: Federal food safety information including how to avoid food poisoning, storing and preparing foods, and recall information.
- Illinois Department of Public Health: Local food safety information.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: National health information and resources.
- City of Chicago: Chicago health and wellness services, alerts and news.
- Healthfinder: U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
- WebMD: General health information.
- Health.gov: Prevention based health resources.
- Go Ask Alice - Health Q&A from Columbia University
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health
- Out Care Health: Local and public LGBTQ healthcare resources by state.
- CDC - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health: Find health services by state.
- Chicago Gender Society: Transgender education and support.
- Howard Brown Health Center: LGBT health center based in Cook County.
- Application for Benefits Eligibility (ABE Illinois): Apply for and manage healthcare, food and cash assistance benefits.
- South-East Asia Center: Offers assistance applying for Medicaid to speakers of English, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and Vietnamese.
- Muslim Women Resource Center: Offers assistance applying for Medicaid to speakers of English, Urdu, Spanish, Dari, Pashto and Arabic.
- National Center on Domestic Violence, Trauma, and Mental Health: Local mental health agencies and centers in the Chicago area.
- NEIU Student Counseling Services: Located in Building B.
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration: U.S. Department of Health & Human Resources national hotlines and news surrounding mental health.
- SAMHSA Services: National mental health services locator.
- Nutrition.gov: Information from the federal government on nutrition, healthy eating, physical activity, and food safety for consumers by topic.
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines For Americans
- American Lung Association in Illinois: Local smoking cessation resources.
- Illinois Tobacco Quitline: Local smoking cessation resources.
- Smoke Free: National resources on quitting smoking.
- Chicago SADDVS Resources: Comprehensive list of most agencies in the Chicago area that specifically work with survivors of SADDVS.
- NEIU K(NO)W More Campaign: A team committed to providing significant support and resources to those impacted by sexual violence, including sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, and stalking.
- CDC STI Information: Information on treatment, symptoms, and resources.
- CDC General Sexual Health Information: Topics include pregnancy and HIV, viral hepatitis, and STI prevention.
- City of Chicago STI Clinic: Local Cook County STI clinic hours, locations, and information.