Mental Health and Wellness Services for Students
Reaching your academic goals can be difficult if you are suffering from emotional distress, relationship difficulties and other concerns. Counseling and therapy can enable you to understand and deal with those issues. It can free you to make clearer and healthier decisions.
You can use counseling to explore personal problems in your life such as:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Sexual assault and abuse
- Grief and loss
- Relationship concerns
- and many other difficulties that may cause stress and disrupt your life.
Explore the information on this site to learn more about:
- how counseling might help you
- how to refer someone else to a counselor
- how to find help off campus
Use the links on the left for other services offered on campus.
Counseling services are available to currently registered NEIU students. We provide short-term treatment and the number of individual or couples therapy sessions are determined in collaboration with the therapist. Group counseling services are available to Northeastern students without session limits. Discuss details of this policy with your counselor.
To speak with a counselor here on campus, call NEIU's Counseling Services (773) 442-4650 to make an appointment or visit us in room B 119 on the Main Campus.
Our office hours are Monday through Thursday: 9 a.m.-5 p.m; Friday 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
For immediate assistance:
- Call NEIU's Counseling Services (773) 442-4650 and ask to speak to a counselor. After hours, press "2" for emergency intervention and consultation to the campus community.
- Call Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center Crisis Line (773) 296-5380.
- Call 911.
- Call or visit your local hospital emergency room. The closest hospital to NEIU's Main Campus is Swedish Covenant Hospital at the corner of Foster and California avenues. Their emergency room is located at 2739 W. Foster Avenue; (773) 878-8200.
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255); en Español, 1-888-628-9454.
- For more assistance off campus, please download our Resources Flyer, which lists physical and mental health resources available near all three Northeastern locations.
- For a list of other social service resources available near Main Campus, please click here.
National Science Foundation awards Northeastern Illinois University grant for dark matter research project
32 minutes agoThe National Science Foundation (NSF) has awarded a three-year, $169,858 grant to develop and maintain software that is needed to help successfully run an experiment…
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Challenge completed
3 days agoLess than a week after her inauguration, Northeastern Illinois University President Gloria J. Gibson had some exciting fundraising news to share. Read about the successful…
Northeastern welcomes 13 new tenure-track faculty members
4 days agoNortheastern Illinois University’s new tenure-track faculty members were introduced at the Board of Trustees meeting on Sept. 20. “It is a pleasure to welcome these 13…