Student Counseling Services is OPEN for teletherapy!
Our counselors are available to meet with students for online video teletherapy. Our services are free of charge and confidential, and are available to all continuing students who are currently enrolled. Counselors can help with a range of concerns, including stress and adjustment issues related to the pandemic, family and relationship issues, and anxiety/depression.
- To schedule an appointment, please call (773) 442-4650 and leave a message. We will respond to voicemail 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday. For urgent phone calls, you can reach a counselor for emergency consultation by pressing "2" per the outgoing message. If you need to contact us by email, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For mental health emergencies, the nearest emergency room to the Main Campus and El Centro is Swedish Covenant Hospital, 2739 W. Foster Avenue; (773) 878-8200. For those living near CCICS, the closest emergency room is Mercy Hospital, 2525 S. Michigan Avenue; (312) 567-2000.
- For additional resources, we have a Main Campus brochure listing resources on the North Side, a CCICS brochure listing resources on the South Side, and a list of other resources for some additional social services in the Albany Park neighborhood.
Thank you for your patience during this challenging time!
Mental Health and Wellness Services for Students
Reaching your academic goals can be difficult if you are suffering from emotional distress, relationship difficulties and other concerns. Counseling and therapy can enable you to understand and deal with those issues. It can free you to make clearer and healthier decisions.
The mission of Student Counseling Services is to provide high-quality, inclusive, and responsive counseling services. We promote student success and wellness through culturally-sensitive direct service, education, advocacy, and outreach to the NEIU community. Our services help students succeed academically, contribute positively to their communities, and live meaningful lives. Our vision: A healthy and supportive University community.
You can use counseling to explore personal problems in your life such as:
- suicidal thoughts
- sexual assault and abuse
- grief and loss
- relationship concerns
- and many other difficulties that may cause stress and disrupt your life.
Explore the information on this site to learn more about:
- how counseling might help you
- how to refer someone else to a counselor
- how to find help off campus
Use the links on the left for other services offered on campus.
An Interview Between Our Director, Dr. Nancy Easton, and Luis Cazares, GEAR UP Mentor, On the Benefits of Meeting With a Counselor
Counseling services are available to currently registered NEIU students. We provide short-term treatment and the number of individual or couples therapy sessions are determined in collaboration with the therapist. Group counseling services are available to Northeastern students without session limits. Discuss details of this policy with your counselor.
Each semester Student Counseling Services offers Mindfulness Meditation sessions guided by one of our counselors. Due to COVID-19, SCS is not currently offering sessions. We hope to offer them in the future once we are back on campus. See below for mindfulness meditation resources: