If you want a broad and diverse educational experience and would prefer not to be confined to the requirements of a single discipline, then the Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies (BAIS) may be the major for you. It offers a variety of ways for you to personalize your college learning experience and support your career and educational goals.
- Transfer up to 96 credit hours, including
- Attend full-time or part-time
- Take day, evening or weekend courses
- Take traditional or online courses
- Complete an Interdisciplinary Studies Concentration in one of eight areas developed for Interdisciplinary Studies
- Complete an academic minor or second major
- Earn up to 36 credit hours through prior learning assessment (PLA) through credit by examination (DSST or CLEP) and/or portfolio
- Students with 60 hours (or more) of transfer credit may complete the degree by taking as few as 24 credit hours of classes
The Interdisciplinary Studies major works especially well for those who have already achieved an associate's degree or who have otherwise completed 60 or more credit hours:
Admission to the Major
To declare the Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies major, please attend a Prospective Student Meeting (BAIS PSM). BAIS advisors will outline all the requirements and options, and answer questions specific to you. To schedule a Prospective Student Meeting (phone or video) please email NDP@neiu.edu.
You may complete an application at the meeting or at any time after you have attended a BAIS PSM. In order to apply to NEIU, go to the Admissions page and select "NDP" for application type.
Admission deadlines into the Interdisciplinary Studies major are determined by Enrollment Services.
For general Northeastern admission requirements, the Admissions Office helps new and returning students through the application process. In addition, the Transfer Center assists transfer students and students who are veterans with transitioning to our campus.
B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies Degree Requirements
- 120 total semester hours
- General Education requirement:
12 credit hours in the Humanities
12 credit hours in the Social Sciences
12 credit hours in Natural Sciences, Mathematics or Computer Science
- 40 credit hours at the Upper Division (junior/senior) level
Additional NEIU Degree Requirements
- English 101, Grade of "C" or better
- NEIU Writing Intensive (WIP) requirement
- Improving Human Relations requirement
- University Core Curriculum Engaged Learning Experience
- Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning requirement
- 24 semester hours of course work completed at Northeastern
- NEIU grade point average of at least 2.0
Interdisciplinary Studies advisors can help ensure that the NEIU Graduation Requirements are met through B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies General Education or Upper Division Requirements. Students in the Interdisciplinary Studies major should schedule advising appointments every semester.
Jennifer Blair, Interdisciplinary Studies Program Specialist
Jacqueline Butler, Interdisciplinary Studies Program Specialist
To make an advising appointment, call (773) 442-6030. In the meantime, please visit our Advising page.
Careers and Graduate Schools
Our graduates enter a variety of careers and graduate programs.
Visit our Contact Us page!