Nontraditional Degree Programs (NDP) include two regionally accredited undergraduate degree completion programs for adult students at Northeastern Illinois University:
- Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies (BAIS) is a credit-based, alternative, self-paced program compatible with career and family responsibilities. Approximately 900 returning adult students are enrolled in BAIS.
- University Without Walls Program (UWW) leads to a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree. UWW students design and complete approved experiential curricula as an alternative to traditional courses.
Both programs offer:
- Generous transfer credit policies
- Flexibility and choices
- Holistic advising
- Academic rigor
- Graduate school preparation
- Options to demonstrate experiential learning
How to Become a Major
Schedule a Prospective Student Meeting (phone or video) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. During the meeting a BAIS advisor will discuss your interests, needs, program requirements and answer any questions you might have. In order to apply to NEIU, go to the Admissions page and select "NDP" for application type.
For general Northeastern admission requirements, the Admissions Office helps new and returning students through the application process. In addition, the Transfer Center assists transfer students and students who are veterans transition to our campus.
Please note that an adult holding a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university will not be admitted to either program.
Our advising staff is available to discuss transcripts, transfer credits, course selection, career options or any questions and concerns you may have. Once you are accepted to an NDP program, you will meet with one of the following advisors:
- Kimya P. Barden, University Without Walls
- Jennifer Blair, Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Jacqueline Butler, Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies
For Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies students, visit our Advising page.
Careers and Graduate Schools
Our graduates enter a variety of careers and graduate programs.
Free Tutoring for NDP Students
NDP regularly employs graduate assistants to tutor our students. If you are a current NDP student and are interested in using this service, please email us at email@example.com or call our office at (773) 442-6030.
Help Us Build a Scholarship
Scholarships can be transformative. They affirm our students' good work and can make a crucial difference on the road to achieving one’s degree. We are working to build an endowed scholarship specifically for NDP. If you would like to help support this effort, you can make a tax-deductible gift to the NEIU Foundation in one of the three ways:
- Give to NEIU online, select Designation: “Nontraditional Degree Programs,” and complete the rest of the form as prompted.
- Check made payable to the NEIU Foundation. Please designate “Nontraditional Degree Programs” in the memo, and mail to NEIU Foundation, 5500 North St. Louis Avenue, Chicago, IL 60625.
- If your bank is set up with Zelle, you can make a donation to the NEIU Foundation right from your bank's own app and no fees are charged. Please designate “Nontraditional Degree Program” in the memo, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NDP is housed in the B Building, Room 147.
Visit our Contact Us page!