Financing Success

Your education is an investment in your personal and academic development toward a successful future. We are committed to helping that cause while remaining affordable for the average student and family. Northeastern Illinois University is among the most affordable public universities in Illinois, with full-time graduate tuition cost of approximately $3,895 for one semester for Illinois residents (based on enrollment in three 3-credit hour classes, tuition and fees, Academic Year 2020-2021; 1 graduate credit hour $432.80). In 2016, we ranked No. 1 for “least debt” among Midwest regional universities by U.S. News and World Report; and sixth nationwide in the U.S. Best Investment in Newsweek's 2012 of "College Rankings." Our in-state tuition covers students from  neighboring states, and military members including their dependents.  

In-State Tuition for Individuals from Bordering States
Incoming freshmen, transfer and graduate students from neighboring states will be assessed in-state tuition rates. Students will qualify if they reside in Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Kentucky or Missouri.  

Armed Forces Personnel
Any incoming freshman, transfer, or graduate student who is an active member of the United States Armed Forces or who is an honorably discharged veteran, regardless of state residency, qualifies for in-state tuition. This policy also applies to the spouse and dependent children of active duty military and veterans.

Financing Your Education - There is a Way

We believe that money should not be a barrier to your pursuit of an excellent graduate education. There are many student financial aid resources out there, and we're here to help you take advantage of them. The Financial Aid Office is here to help you create a financial plan that works for you; the office offers ongoing workshops on financial aid and provides support for you to do your own research on grants and scholarships. We can also answer questions by phone at (773) 442-5016 and email at

Getting Started on a Financial Plan

The first step is to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Even if you're still deciding where you want to study, we urge you to go ahead and fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form including the school ID number for Northeastern, 001693. The deadlines for scholarships are often earlier than deadlines for admission, so it's good to start the application process early. 

Four Types of Aid

Northeastern offers four basic types of financial aid you can seek to help fund your education. With the help of the financial aid office you can find many options within each category. Eligibility and conditions differ depending on type of aid.

  • Need-based grants and scholarships. Free money–you do not need to pay it back. Based on your FAFSA results.
  • Merit-based grants and scholarships. Free money–you do not need to pay it back. Based on grades, tests, other criteria.
  • Student employment. Compensation for work, while enrolled, that you can use to help pay for your education.
  • Loans. Not free money–loans need to be paid back, with interest. Federal need-based student loans with relatively good terms are available.

Financial Assistance specific to Graduate Students:


  • Graduate Assistants (GA) are graduate students who provide academic and program support to departments and/or various university units and offices in exchange for a tuition waiver and a monthly stipend.
  • GA responsibilities may be academic in nature and include assisting faculty with research, setting up displays for lectures or laboratory sections, and preparing or maintaining equipment used in laboratory sections.
  • GA responsibilities may also be administrative in nature and consist of duties unrelated directly to teaching or research (such as academic advising, program planning, advising student groups, and assisting with the administration of student services).
  • Graduate assistantships are quite competitive and vary by department. For those students who excel in their field of study, they can be an excellent way to get experience while continuing their education.
  • The length of assistantship awards may vary based on department and program needs. Typically, the assistantship is granted for one semester (Spring or Fall) or an academic year. A limited number of Summer assistantships are available.
  • Students may begin an assistantship once they have been admitted to the College of Graduate Studies and Research and may continue an assistantship if they are in good academic standing

Graduate Assistantships - Who is eligible?

  • Students admitted to degree-seeking graduate program (Graduate Students-at-Large and students in certificate, licensure or endorsement program are not eligible)
  • Students with at least a 3.0 grade point average 

How to apply?

  • You will be contacted by the hiring department when an opening that matches your skills, experience and field  of study becomes available. Please note that the College of Graduate Studies and Research only processes the applications. 

Graduate Assistantship Compensation

  • 20 hours of work per week = $600 stipend per month PLUS tuition and fees waiver for three courses (9 credit hours) per semester
  • 15 hours of work per week = $450 stipend per month PLUS tuition and fees waiver for two courses (6 credit hours) per semester
  • 10 hours of work per week = $300 stipend per month PLUS tuition and fees waiver for one course (3 credit hours) per semester

Supplemental Assignment Policy: 

  • Graduate Assistantships were designed to lighten the burden of graduate tuition while allowing students to have sufficient time to pursue their studies. For this reason, assistantships are limited to no more than 20 hours a week. If you are a Graduate Assistant and you wish to accept an additional position working in any capacity on campus, then you must have the permission of the College of Graduate Studies and Research for a supplemental assignment in addition to your assistantship. Please fill out the Supplemental Assignment Form and return it to the Dean's office (LWH 0041) or by email at The office will let you know if your request has been approved. 


Please contact the College of Graduate Studies and Research Dean's Office at (773) 442-6012 or