Northeastern Illinois University is excited to welcome back students, faculty and staff to all of our physical locations for the Fall 2021 semester!
We are working hard to create a campus environment that is focused on your academic success and health. The University is following the guidelines set forth by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), and the City of Chicago, and created an interim COVID-19 Policy and plan that incorporate a layered approach of health and safety measures to protect the NEIU community.
What to Expect at the Start of Fall 2021 Semester
- Classes, activities and events resumed on Monday, Aug. 23, 2021, at all University locations.
- Following the recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention masking indoors will continue to be required at all University locations this fall. Students, faculty and staff must wear a face mask or face covering when visiting University locations and in public spaces including outdoor spaces if social distancing cannot be maintained. Masks are not required when alone in a private office, personal residence hall room or when dining in a designated eating area.
- Beginning August 23, 2021, Northeastern will require all students, faculty and staff who are taking courses or working on campus to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for the 2021-22 academic year. Students, faculty and staff must provide evidence of being fully vaccinated with an approved COVID-19 vaccination, or demonstrate progress towards full vaccination no later than August 23. It is understandable that this timeline may pose an issue for some. In that case, individuals will have the option to test before arriving back on campus. We also acknowledge that some individuals have health conditions or other reasons why they cannot be vaccinated. For those individuals, regular COVID-19 testing will be required.
- Students, faculty, and staff who are on campus and who have not provided evidence of vaccination are required to participate in weekly on-campus saliva-based COVID-19 testing.
- A daily symptom check prior to coming to campus is encouraged. Please stay home if you are experiencing upper respiratory symptoms. Check the CDC website for a list of all COVID-19 symptoms.
- Students should continue to report positive COVID-19 test results to Student Health Services by phone at (773) 442-5800 or by email at email@example.com.
- Employees should continue to report positive COVID-19 test results to Human Resources at HR-Office@neiu.edu.