We are very excited to welcome you back to campus for the Fall 2021 semester!
NEIU is dedicated to helping you succeed at helping our students succeed, and that includes prioritizing the health and safety of our campus community. Each day, take a moment to check in with yourself and be mindful of your physical and emotional health. Take proper precautions and seek care if you are ill. Don't forget to consider your emotional well-being.
All faculty and staff are required to resume work in their physical on-campus locations by Aug. 16, 2021. At this time, all remote operations will conclude. Employees may request reasonable accommodation, but must do so following the University’s Reasonable Accommodation for Employees and Applicants with Disabilities policy. Northeastern has adopted an Interim COVID-19 Return to Campus Policy, which we encourage you to review prior to coming to campus.
- Face coverings are still required in all indoor common areas and in all classrooms, regardless of vaccination status. Face coverings are no longer required in outdoor areas, so long as social distancing can be appropriately maintained. Northeastern is providing one free mask to all employees. Employees who have not already done so may collect their masks by using the Facilities Management request form.
- Northeastern is requiring all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 by Aug. 23, 2021 for the 2021-22 academic year or be tested weekly until this new requirement ends or the employee is fully vaccinated.
- Please report positive COVID-19 test results to Human Resources at (773) 442-5200 or HR-Office@neiu.edu. If symptoms occur while on campus, please notify your supervisor via email and return home immediately. If an employee tests positive for COVID-19, the employee will switch to remote work, if able, until a negative test result has been obtained.
- Events: Events will resume, and when possible, be held outdoors.
- Meetings: Virtual or hybrid meetings are strongly encouraged. In-person meetings require a record of attendance.
- Commuting: When commuting to campus via public transportation, follow CTA, Metra or Pace guidelines.
- Domestic Travel: Persons who are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine can travel freely within the United States. If persons who are not fully vaccinated must travel, they should follow the CDC’s recommendations for unvaccinated persons.
- University-Sponsored Domestic Travel: University-sponsored domestic travel by students, faculty, and staff is permitted. Domestic travel requests must be submitted through the standard Travel Authorization Request and Encumbrance (TARE) procedure for official authorization for travel.
- University-Sponsored International Travel: All University-sponsored international travel by students, faculty, and staff continues to be suspended. Individual requests to be considered for an international travel exception may be presented to the Division Vice President for evaluation.
- Personal Travel: Personal travel is not governed by the University. Students, faculty, and staff who are traveling for personal reasons should do so in compliance with the CDC guidelines for domestic travel, the City of Chicago Emergency Travel Order, and the CDC guidelines for international travel.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Facilities Management has created a form to request personal protective equipment (PPE). Requests are made at the unit/departmental level, and are only approved by deans and vice presidents. Deliveries will generally be made within one week of the request’s approval.
Plexiglas or space assessment requests should be emailed to Facilities Management service request at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work Concerns Related to COVID-19
Human Resources will continue to work with employees who have work concerns related to COVID-19, including employees who have been diagnosed with, or care for a family member with, COVID-19, or who need to self-quarantine. Please contact the Office of Human Resources for more information at (773) 442-5200 or email@example.com.