Northeastern Illinois University is monitoring the global outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), as well confirmed cases in the Chicago area, and has created this website to share the latest information with the University community. Our priority is the health and safety of members of the Northeastern community. Please check back regularly for the most recent guidance and communications. You may also email email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
(Updated April 3)
modified Grading Policy for spring 2020 semester
The new deadline for students to withdraw from full semester and second eight-week courses and receive a “W” grade is now Monday, April 27, 2020. The Pass/Fail policy for the Spring 2020 semester has been modified. The Fail (“F”) grade has been replaced with the No Pass “NP” grade, and student eligibility to choose Pass/No Pass (“P”/”NP”) grading has been expanded for the Spring 2020 semester. The deadline to choose Pass/No Pass (“P”/”NP”) grading is now Monday, April 27, 2020.
TUITION PAYMENT DEADLINE EXTENDED
The final payment deadline has been extended to May 31, 2020, for students who have an unpaid account balance for the Spring 2020 semester. No late fees will apply for unpaid account balances for the Spring 2020 semester until after May 31, 2020. Additionally, no new holds will be placed on students’ records for unpaid account balances for the Spring 2020 semester until after May 31, 2020. For students who register for the Summer 2020 and/or Fall 2020 semesters prior to May 31, 2020, but have unpaid balances for the Spring 2020 semester, registrations will remain in place. NEIU will not cancel summer or fall registration if the Spring 2020 semester balance is not paid in full by May 31, 2020.
Student Emergency fund
Northeastern has designated the Student Emergency Fund to help students who have been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Details on donating or applying for assistance are available on the Student Emergency Fund site.
Northeastern has canceled the May 4 Commencement ceremony and related events such as the Master’s Hooding Ceremony and Academic Honors Ceremony. The University remains fully committed to celebrating the spring graduates. The University will reach out to spring graduates with the details about how and when we will celebrate them and will provide more information soon about refunds associated with this cancellation.
WORKING FROM HOME
For the health and safety of the University, Northeastern has implemented temporary guidelines for most employees to work remotely, effective Wednesday, March 18, through at least Thursday, April 30.
Face-to-face instruction is suspended through the end of the Spring 2020 academic semester. Alternative instruction will begin on Monday, March 30, after the extended Spring Break for students.
The University's Spring Break, which started on March 16, was extended a second week through March 29. During this time, faculty were asked to develop alternate modes of course delivery, as appropriate, to replace face-to-face instruction.
All events that are scheduled to take place through April 30 at the University are canceled.
All University-sponsored domestic and international travel by students, faculty and staff is suspended until further notice. Additionally, all Summer 2020 Study Abroad programs and international trips are canceled.
All University locations, including El Centro, Carruthers Center and CCAS, are in the process of being deep cleaned. Northeastern is employing measures such as disinfection of high-touch surfaces and common areas, such as classrooms, washrooms, stairwells and gathering spaces.
COVID-19 Task Force
This task force is charged with addressing the safety and security of our University community. They have established this website to communicate updates as they occur. The task force will keep University leadership apprised of concerns and illness prevention efforts, and will provide recommendations on major decisions.
What is COVID-19?
Coronavirus usually causes mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold. Symptoms may include fever, cough and shortness of breath. The virus most commonly spreads from an infected person to others through the air by coughing or sneezing, or by touching an object or person with the virus (i.e., touching a doorknob or shaking hands), then touching your mouth, nose or eyes before washing your hands. Read Northeastern’s guidance on protection from the illness.
Northeastern is an inclusive community. We must be supportive of people who have completed their quarantine or met the requirements to discontinue infection control measures. It's also important to remember that viruses cannot target people from specific populations, ethnicities or racial backgrounds.
- April 6: President's message about a confirmed case of COVID-19
- April 3: Provost's messages to students and to employees about the modified grading policy for Spring 2020
- April 3: President's message about the Student Emergency Fund
- April 1: President's message about extending "stay-at-home" mode
- March 31: COVID-19 Task Force's update message to students, faculty and staff
- March 31: Human Resources message to employees about the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- March 30: Provost's message to students about remote learning resources
- March 27: President's message about next steps for the University community
- March 20: President's announcement about "stay-at-home" mode
- March 20: President's announcement of the cancellation of Commencement
- March 19: COVID-19 Task Force's update message to students, faculty and staff
- March 19: Provost's message to faculty about CTL support for remote teaching
- March 17: President's message about remote working for employees
- March 16: Provost's message to faculty about first steps toward remote instruction
- March 16: Vice President's message about travel reimbursements and new travel requests
- March 16: President's message about remote instruction for Spring 2020 semester
- March 13: President's message about updates to Frequently Asked Questions
- March 12: President's message about Spring Break extension; travel and event cancellations
- March 9: President’s message about Spring Break travel cancellations
- March 9: Provost’s message about faculty resources
- March 5: President’s message about University response
- Feb. 26: Student Health Services message about precautions
- Jan. 31: Student Health Services message about precautions
For student medical questions
Phone: (773) 442-5800
For study abroad questions
Phone: (773) 442-4796
For questions about University housing
Phone: (773) 442-4663
For questions about student life
Phone: (773) 442-4600
For admissions, financial aid, registration and student accounts questions
For human resources questions
Phone: (773) 442-5200
- World Health Organization
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Illinois Department of Public Health
- Chicago Department of Public Health
Northeastern will continue to work with federal, state and city partners who are monitoring the virus. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form if you have any questions or concerns that aren't already answered within this site.