The Math and Science Concepts minor (MSTQE) is designed for undergraduate students interested in developing deep and broad based literacy in math, physical and life sciences and technology.
MSTQE is a consortium program in which faculty and students from Wright College, Truman College and Northeastern Illinois University teach and study together. The goal of the consortium is to build community connections and create a pipeline of diverse teachers who will connect to and engage students in achieving STEM (science, technology, engineering, math).
An important feature of the program is that the math and science courses are taught as pairs with content and instruction that is linked and interdisciplinary. The integrated math and science course pairs provide students with opportunities to interact with professors and classmates to investigate and co-construct knowledge. All of the courses provide students with the opportunity to think about how the math and science content they are studying could be used to make the teaching and learning of math and science as future educators both engaging and effective.
In the Math and Science Concepts minor, you can:
- be part of a small cohort of students,
- participate in meaningful service learning and civic engagement opportunities as a way to integrate teaching of the content,
- work directly with middle level teachers and students through Master Teacher partnerships,
- be part of team with supportive faculty, tutors, and advisors,
- receive early field experience and opportunities to connect content with actual classroom practices and instruction,
- be involved in opportunities to support and mentor, problem solve and discuss topics related to future careers as classroom teachers through advisory seminars and guided inquiry learning.
Take a closer look at the minor in Math and Science Concepts and the courses offered toward the program.
Northeastern Illinois University is home to students from all corners of the world and is one of the most ethnically diverse universities in the nation. Our small class sizes, flexible schedules and dedicated faculty can help you succeed in your studies.
We offer an education with value.