The Educational Foundations Program is built on the premise that the curricula, pedagogical and educational policy decisions of teachers, school administrators and other related professionals should be founded on the disciplines of philosophy, history, psychology, sociology, anthropology and political science. For it is through these disciplines that educational professionals and others engaged in the educational enterprise are able to ask the relevant questions about the nature of students and their world, and make the most appropriate decisions with regards to the education of a diverse body of students.
The Educational Foundations Program seeks to challenge educators to develop an understanding of the theoretical, conceptual and policy related underpinnings of the educational enterprise and its various curriculum and instructional approaches. Teachers, school administrators and other related professionals are challenged to these ends through the Educational Foundations undergraduate and graduate course sequence in philosophy and history, development and individual difference, and educational psychology.
Through this Educational Foundations coursework, students will:
- Acquire an extensive knowledge base and seek out opportunities to develop, demonstrate and apply that knowledge to various academic and professional settings.
- Connect theory and practice in order to promote effective decision-making, critical analysis and synthesis.
- Engage in critical reflective thinking.
- Learn the value of human diversity and respect varied talents and perspectives.
- Develop a professional philosophy that exemplifies individual identity and integrity.
- Learn the value of, and promote, lifelong learning.
- Develop and employ meta-cognitive strategies that can be applied to and beneficial within various academic and professional settings.
Academic Catalog Information
Take a closer look at Educational Foundations and the courses offered toward the program.
Department and Contact Information
If you are interested in the program or have questions, please contact Educational Inquiry and Curriculum Studies at (773) 442-5517.
Northeastern Illinois University is home to students from all corners of the world and is one of the most ethnically diverse universities in the nation. Our small class sizes, flexible schedules and dedicated faculty can help you succeed in your studies.
We offer an education with value.