"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle
A donation to the Department of Philosophy helps ensure a new generation of NEIU students can experience all of the richness that the study of philosophy offers.
Here are some of the ways we currently use the Foundation account:
- Ethics Bowl: The Ethics Bowl has been a central feature of our program for 17 years. Our graduates rate it as one of the most rewarding and memorable experiences of their time at NEIU. Your gift pays for registration and travel to the competition.
- Student Awards: Every year, the Philosophy faculty selects one student who works in the major for the award.
- Student Events: A new tradition of the Philosophy program is to take the new graduates out for pizza.
- Student Travel: Some of our students get papers accepted at conferences or gain acceptance to summer programs in philosophy. While some of these programs are free, none of them cover travel.
It is true that NEIU remains among the most affordable colleges in the United States. It is also true that many of our students receive scholarships. These scholarships, however generous or substantial, often do not cover everything. A gap of a few hundred dollars can force a student to drop a course, take a semester off or worse, drop out of school entirely. Our vision is to generate enough income from our Foundation account to fund scholarships for our very deserving students. We are far from it right now, but we know that our Foundation account generates $1,800 or so in income every year. This can go a long way to ensuring that NEIU students have the same opportunities as students at other colleges.
Your gift—whatever its size—will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your generosity and continued support.
NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION GIVING OPPORTUNITIES
The University’s professional fundraising staff are ready to answer questions and to work with you. To learn more, please contact Sylvia Daniels, Director of Development, at email@example.com or (773) 442-4231.
HOW TO MAKE A SECURE ONLINE GIFT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF PHILOSOPHY
- Click on the “Donate now” button below.
- Under “Designation,” select “Other” from the drop-down menu.
- Copy and paste “Philosophy Fund, 1430” into the “Other Designation” text box. (Note: If you do not include “Philosophy Fund, 1430” your donation will not be designated to the Department of Philosophy, but will go into a general Northeastern fund.)
- If your employer will match donations, be sure to contact your business’ office of Human Resources to supply them with your donation information to double your impact.