The Master of Arts in Geography and Environmental Studies is a program offered in the evenings and on weekends. The program is designed for students with various academic backgrounds who are interested in a career that spans the human and natural environments -- the social and physical sciences -- and who desire the spatial analytical skills of geography. Graduate students develop an area of proficiency within the broad scope of environmental policy, planning, and management or within the geographic realm of spatial analysis. The program is both theoretical and practical; students gain knowledge, conceptual skills, and technical skills. The program provides a solid basis for a career, a career shift, career enhancement or preparation for post-graduate studies.
Students are expected to:
- acquire knowledge about human-environmental relations in which the environment is considered as both space and milieu;
- acquire knowledge of rapidly changing landscapes, synthesizing diverse but interrelated information;
- acquire knowledge related to locational studies concerning geometrics of movement, size, shape, and distance;
- acquire knowledge related to environmental resources including interpretation, planning, development, use, and conservation;
- acquire knowledge related to socio-economic development;
- use computer cartography and geographic information systems to analyze, monitor, evaluate, and project spatial data;
- refine skills related to map interpretation, composition, types, and preparation, and in interpretation of aerial photographs, field observation, and satellite imagery;
- refine skills in collection and analysis of statistical data;
- develop skills related to computerized data processing;
- refine computational and oral as well as written communication and research skills.
Credit hours required: 33
The program admits students for the fall, spring and summer semesters.
Take a closer look at the master's degree in Geography and Environmental Studies and the courses offered toward the degree.
If you are interested in the program or have questions please contact Geography and Environmental Studies.
Northeastern Illinois University is home to students from all corners of the world and is one of the most ethnically diverse universities in the nation. Our small class sizes, flexible schedules and dedicated faculty can help you succeed in your studies.
We offer an education with value.