SSS Teacher Preparation is a free, federally funded program designed to promote learning, personal development, and retention. It provides support to undergraduate students at NEIU who are first generation or income eligible and are pursuing a teaching degree.
SSS Teacher Prep provides students with enhanced academic and personal support which includes:
- Test preparation to obtain teaching credentials for certification
- One-to-one academic tutoring and workshops for the ACT and TAP exams
- Career planning assistance designed to prepare students for a wide range of job options
- Advising and assistance in postsecondary course selection.
- Mentoring programs involving faculty or graduate students
- Counseling services including individualized counseling for personal, career, and academic matters
- Activities designed to help students obtain financial assistance and enroll in graduate and professional programs
- Exposure to cultural events and academic programs
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Have an interest in becoming a teacher
Be a first-generation college student (neither parents have completed a bachelor’s degree from a four-year institution), or meet income eligibility guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Education.