How to Apply for Services and Student Accommodations
To obtain eligibility to receive reasonable accommodations through Student Disability Services, students will need to follow the Accommodation Process.
Exam Scheduling Accommodations
- Students should schedule their exams, when possible, at least two weeks before the exam date.
- Students with extended time and a half should schedule exams to begin no later than 2:30 p.m. (SDS closes at 4:30 p.m.)
- Students with double, or triple extended time on exams should schedule their exams to end at 4:30 p.m. at the latest. (SDS closes at 4:30 p.m.)
- Try not to create unnecessary stress for yourself and avoid scheduling exams the night before the day the exam is being given.
- Students who schedule last minute exams must consult with faculty to get an approved alternate testing date and time.
- Only your instructor can approve a different date and time for the exam.
- Also, students must give SDS a forty-eight (48) hour window of time to schedule their exams, not including weekends and holidays.
Students who are unable to complete exams by the close of the business day (the last time to take an exam is at 2:30 p.m.) should make arrangements with SDS and their instructors to test at an earlier time.
Individuals who need assistance filling out this form should contact SDS at firstname.lastname@example.org or (773) 442-4595.
How much extra time do I receive to test in Student Disability Services and if I need more time who makes that decision?
Industry standard is time-and-a-half (1.5x). To receive more time beyond that, the student must submit documentation showing that your disability does not allow you to finish within the time allotted by SDS. The Director of Student Disability Services makes the determination on these types of requests.
What is the purpose of extended time?
The purpose of extended time is to put you on par with the rest of your classmates. In other words, your extra time is not an advantage, but a way for you to finish your exams without your disability impacting your ability to demonstrate your knowledge under time constraints.
Can an instructor give me extended time?
Yes, however, keep in mind what the instructor gives is not transferable to another class. That extended time was granted as a courtesy.
How can I increase my extended time on exams?
Email the director for steps to take to increase your extended time.
Do I have to fill out an Exam Appointment Request Form for every test and quiz I want to take in the SDS testing room?
Yes. Please go to the exam scheduling request form. Please be advised that the office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Requests received after office hours, during the weekend or a holiday, will be addressed when the office reopens.
Why can't I bring my belongings, and cell phone into the testing room in cases where I might be expecting an emergency phone call?
To ensure the integrity of the exam, we ask that students leave behind all belongings that could give them an unfair advantage over their classmates. We ask that you make arrangements with others to let them know when and where you will be testing, and to call SDS if there is an emergency.