The Office of Legal Affairs and General Counsel (General Counsel) represents Northeastern Illinois University (Northeastern or the University), and its employees acting in their official capacities. The General Counsel provides legal advice and manages all legal services for Northeastern.
Guided by the operating principles of high ethical standards, sound decision-making, consensus building, courtesy, and respect, the General Counsel is committed to act with integrity, knowledge of the law, and reason in support of the University's mission, vision and values.
The University General Counsel:
- assists in the development of University policy and procedures
- advises Northeastern administrators regarding sensitive employment matters
- reviews contracts and other legal documents
- selects and coordinates outside legal counsel when necessary
- helps resolve disputes and claims
- serves as the University's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Officer
The University General Counsel cannot:
- provide legal advice or representation to employees or students about personal legal issues such as divorces, wills, and landlord tenant issues
- counsel University administrators in matters unrelated to Northeastern business
- advise University administrators or departments whose interests are or may be adverse to the University
All University matters requiring legal advice or legal action should be referred to the General Counsel.
Office of Legal Affairs and General Counsel
c/o Northeastern Illinois University
5500 North St. Louis Avenue, Room C 220
Chicago, IL 60625
Phone: (773) 442-5416
Fax: (773) 442-5070