Northeastern’s generalist Master of Public Health is unique in the greater metropolitan Chicago area. The program is taught by a team of faculty across disciplines. Similarly, students will have the opportunity to select six credit hours of electives from a wide variety of disciplines; therefore they are not limited to a concentration area, but rather a wide variety of topic areas related to public health.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students are expected to demonstrate foundational public health knowledge in:
- The profession and science of public health
- Factors related to human health
Students are expected to demonstrate foundational public health competencies in:
- Evidence-based approaches to public health
- Public health and health care systems
- Planning and management to promote health
- Policy in public health
- Interprofessional practice
- Systems thinking
Credit hours required: 42
The program admits students for the fall semester.
The M.P.H. program offers:
- Two- or three-year plans of study via hybrid classes (on campus and online learning)
- An interdisciplinary approach by a team of highly qualified faculty
- Electives focused on topics related to public health, such as sociology, gerontology, justice studies and economics
- Research and internship opportunities to work and collaborate in public health settings
- Preparation to pursue a terminal degree in areas such as behavioral health, epidemiology or environmental health sciences
In addition, Northeastern offers an array of flexible day, evening and weekend classes with an affordable tuition and convenient urban locations accessible by car or public transportation.
Take a closer look at the Master of Public Health and the courses offered toward the degree.
Please note that the program will be published in the 2019-2020 Academic Catalog in the summer. For immediate inquiries, please contact the department for details.
If you are interested in the program or have questions, please contact Health Sciences and Physical Education at (773) 442-5581.
Northeastern Illinois University is home to students from all corners of the world and is one of the most ethnically diverse universities in the nation. Our small class sizes, flexible schedules and dedicated faculty can help you succeed in your studies.
We offer an education with value.