Happy September, everyone! Here are the latest updates from around Northeastern Illinois University.
Around the Commons
Great news! The annual Chuck Kane Scholarship Golf Event raised $35,322 for student scholarships this year, the second-best fundraising result in the 42 years of the tournament.
This has been an exciting year for gerontology associate professor Lisa Hollis-Sawyer and her program, which have earned two recent awards in the growing field. “These awards show that our students are benefiting from the instruction we offer in the NEIU gerontology program,” she said. “It’s just a verification of what we do on a day-to-day basis.”
In the media
Fight for $15
Northeastern sociology student Jessica Davis led a DNAinfo story about a Chicago demonstration for a higher minimum wage. "I work for a multibillion-dollar corporation and should be paid at least $15 per hour,” said Davis, who has worked at McDonald’s for nearly five years.
Northeastern professor emeritus Ed Stuart appeared on WTTW’s “Chicago Tonight” to talk about the apparent strengthening of the U.S. economy.
Also in the media ...
- Ensemble Espanol’s upcoming performance at the College of Lake County has drawn interest from the Chicago Tribune, the Lake County News-Sun and the Daily Herald.
- The Morris Daily Herald mentioned Hollis-Sawyer’s planned involvement in a Grundy County discussion titled “Challenges of the Future: Is Grundy County a Retirement-Friendly Community?”
Be part of the pride
The LGBTQA Resource Center and the GLBTQA Club is inviting all students, faculty and staff to its Welcome Back Rainbow Reception. The free reception is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 11, from 3-4 p.m. in the Pedroso Center.
Mark your calendar!
- Faculty voice recital (free), 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 11, Recital Hall. Robert Heitzinger will perform with Kay Kim on piano.
- World Music Festival (free), 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 13, Auditorium. Telvin Trio and Bahto Delo Delo will perform.
- Visiting Writers Series (free), 3 p.m. Monday, Sept. 15, Recital Hall. Brad Watson will perform a public reading followed by a book signing.
Do you have a story tip? Let the public relations department know!
Dana Navarro, director of public relations, firstname.lastname@example.org, 773-442-4227
Mike Hines, assistant director of public relations, email@example.com, 773-442-4240
Check out last week’s Noteworthy at Northeastern.