Noteworthy at Northeastern: A season of music
Northeastern Illinois University has announced the next season of its highly regarded Jewel Box Series. Don’t miss a beat! Find out who will perform in this series of diverse musical genres, what a new grant from Lurie Children’s Hospital will do and which faculty member published an article with the help of an NEIU Summer Research Stipend.
Around the Commons
You Are Not Alone Initiative grant
The Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago has awarded a $32,274 grant to Northeastern Illinois University to fund the You Are Not Alone Initiative in support of immigrant and refugee mental health across Illinois communities. The initiative is managed by Assistant Professor of Social Work Aimee Hilado.
Interim Director of the Carruthers Center BarBara Scott (from left), Executive Director of Government Relations Suleyma Perez and Acting Provost Wamucii Njogu joined state Rep. Emanuel Chris Welch, chair of the House Higher Education Committee, for the Illinois Legislative Black Caucus Foundation Annual Scholarship Reception at the DuSable Museum of African American History on July 11.
And there’s more!
- Northeastern will host a One Stop Enrollment Express from 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. in Alumni Hall on July 18. Departments from across the University will come together to help students prepare for the fall semester.
- Linguistics Professor Richard Hallett has published an article titled “‘A taste of this lively language’: attitudes towards languages other than English in lonely planet phrasebooks” in the Journal of Multicultural Discourses. As noted in the article, the work is the result of a 2016 NEIU Summer Research Stipend.
In the media
On the state budget
Interim President Richard Helldobler appeared on WTTW’s “Chicago Tonight” with Governors State President Elaine Maimon to talk about the effect of the recently passed state budget on public universities in Illinois. Since passage of the budget, Helldobler also has appeared on National Public Radio’s “Morning Edition” and was interviewed by Inside Higher Ed.
Also in the media ...
- WBEZ quoted Northeastern’s Kyu Park in a story about Chicago’s Koreatown.
- ABC7’s “Windy City Live” featured Kamelia Hristeva (B.A. ’04 Art) as its 4-Star Chicagoan of the week for her efforts on behalf of Green Star Movement to bring art to urban neighborhoods.
Jewel Box Series lineup
Now in its 18th year, the Jewel Box Series returns for the 2017-18 season with a new, diverse lineup of artists from all over the world to perform in the acoustically superior Recital Hall and spacious Auditorium. The eight-concert series will begin Sept. 29, and offers music from a variety of genres through May 18, 2018. Tickets will be available online beginning July 17.
Mark your calendar!
- Waste Not, Want Not exhibition, through July 21, Fine Arts Gallery
- Thursday Night Live: Sugar Still, 9 p.m. July 18, Student Lounge
- Forks of the Roads workshop, 12:30 p.m. July 19, FA 107
- “Girlfriends” screening, 7:30 p.m. July 19, Auditorium
- Thursday Night Live: Sons of Ra, 10 p.m. July 20, Student Lounge
The Arts at NEIU
What's your pleasure? From music and dance to theater and film, the Arts at NEIU has something for everyone. Follow along on Facebook and Instagram for exciting event listings like the next season of Jewel Box Series performances!
Do you have a story tip? Let the public relations office know!
Mike Hines, Director of Public Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org, (773) 442-4240