Here we go! Another academic year has begun—and this time with a new residence hall. Kick of the Fall 2016 semester with the latest from The Nest, the College of Business and Management and more!
Around the Commons
NEIU Weekend 2016
The first big party of the fall semester is coming on Sept. 16-17! Northeastern is pulling out all the stops for a weekend packed with live music, outdoor games and inflatables, kids activities, lots of food and drink, and even a fancy gala. Check out the full two-day schedule!
Pursuit of the Highest Education
John Gomez does not settle and will not settle—even after he earns his bachelor’s degree. “Ever since I was little, the one thing I have always wanted to do—which I know is kind of odd—is that I’ve always wanted to go to college,” said Gomez, who naturally is a member of the University Honors Program. “I really value education. I think it’s so important for people to be educated—not necessarily just to get a job but just to better yourself.” On track to graduate in 2017, Gomez already is thinking about pursuing an M.B.A., and possibly a Ph.D. Read his inspirational story.
Studying The Nest
Before it was a place to study, The Nest was a place to be studied. That was the determination of Business Instructor Patrick Delaney when he saw the construction site in Fall 2015. Delaney had just begun teaching an undergraduate Operations Management class, his first at Northeastern, when he invited the project superintendent to come speak about the project control system used for the construction tasks. Kevin Voda, the general superintendent with Weis Builders, was happy to oblige—and then took it a step further with a very special offer.
Reflections: Part 4
What is the future of public higher education in the state and around the country? President Sharon Hahs and Interim President Richard Helldobler continue their discussions in this week’s installment of videos reflecting Hahs’ decade as Northeastern's president. This week, they talked about the President's thoughts about the future of public higher education in the state and around the country.
And there’s more!
- The University will be closed on Monday, Sept. 5, in observance of Labor Day.
- Vice Provost Vicki Román-Lagunas has been appointed Acting Provost, effective Oct. 1.
- Check out the photos from the annual Chuck Kane Scholarship Golf Event that raised $27,448 for student scholarships this year.
In the media
Illinois’ economic performance
The Chicago Tribune talked with Department of Economics Coordinator Michael Wenz about the state’s lagging economic indicators. “Until we solve our fiscal problems, we're going to struggle to do a good job with schools,” Wenz told the Tribune, “and as long as we struggle to do a good job with schools, businesses aren't going to want to locate here, our students will want to leave.”
Jewel Box Series
The 2016-17 season of the Jewel Box Series is approaching! The season kicks off Sept. 16 with Germán López, a timple player from Gran Canaria, an island making up an archipelago off the coast of Africa.
Mark your calendar!
- Jeffrey Abt exhibition, through Sept. 16, Fine Arts Gallery
- Activity Day, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Aug. 29, University Commons
- Activity Day: Rematch, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Aug. 30, University Commons
- Pride Social, 3-4 p.m. Aug. 30, B Courtyard
- “Zaza” screening, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 31, Auditorium
- Freshman Meet-Up, 3-4 p.m. Sept. 1, Alumni Hall
- Sex Signals comedy and education event, 4:30-6:30 p.m. Sept. 1, Auditorium
- “Jungle Book” screening, 7:30 p.m. Sept. 1, University Commons (or Auditorium if rain)
- Thursday Night Live: Fixed Emotion, 10 p.m. Sept. 1, Student Lounge
Attention all students!
Are you a student? Are you following NEIU Students on Facebook? Get all of the information you need—from resources to recreation—on the Facebook page that is for and about Northeastern’s students.
Do you have a story tip? Let the public relations office know!
Mike Hines, Director of Public Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org, (773) 442-4240