The new year is all about new opportunities. Northeastern Illinois University has announced a new partnership with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. College Preparatory and the NEIU For You scholarship is available for eligible incoming freshman and transfer students for Fall 2022! Read about all this and more in the latest edition of Noteworthy at Northeastern.
Around the Commons
Northeastern announces new partnership with King College Prep
Northeastern Illinois University’s Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies (CCICS) has announced a new partnership with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. College Preparatory (King College Prep), which will allow students from both schools to complete Biology 100 at the University's South Side location beginning in Spring 2021. “This partnership not only benefits NEIU students who reside on the South Side by giving them a familiar and close place to take a biology class in a new laboratory, but it also gives the students at King College Prep the opportunity to earn college credit before they graduate,” Assistant Director of Title III ÉXITO STEM Syreeta Brown said. A similar program was held at El Centro in partnership with Roberto Clemente High School in Summer 2021.
NEIU For You
Beginning in Fall 2022, Northeastern Illinois University will cover the cost of four years of tuition for eligible students through the NEIU For You scholarship. NEIU For You will also cover the cost of a three-credit hours class for eligible transfer students. Learn more and apply today!
And there’s more!
- Registration for Spring 2022 is now open. Classes begin Jan. 18.
- Associate Professor of Economics Ryan Gallagher published an article titled “Income segregation's impact on local public expenditures: Evidence from municipalities and school districts, 1980–2010” in Regional Science and Urban Economics.
- Associate Professor of Economics Scott Hegerty was named associate editor of the journal Economic Change and Restructuring.
- The Genocide and Human Rights Research in Africa and the Diaspora (GHRAD) Center has extended its call for papers for its 2022 Conference until Jan. 15.
- The NEIU Student Recreation & Wellness Center will have adjusted hours of 8 a.m.-5 p.m. through Jan. 14. The center will be closed Jan. 15-17.
- The NEIU community is invited to submit nominations for the 2022 Black Heritage Awards scheduled for 6-9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 25 in Alumni Hall. Nominations will be accepted until Monday, Jan. 24.
“King in the Wilderness” movie screening
Join the Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies (CCICS) to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day with a virtual screening of the documentary, "King in the Wilderness," from noon - 3 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 13. Those interested in attending should RSVP to Monica Smith at email@example.com or (773) 256-2036 to receive a link.
In the media
- Professor Emeritus of Political Science Robert Starks was interviewed by WBEZ regarding Congressman Bobby Rush’s retirement.
From Dec. 22, 2021-Jan. 5, 2022 three students and 22 employees reported positive COVID-19 tests. None of the students were on campus. Three of the employees were on campus. Since March 2020, a total of 104 employees and 361 students have self-reported to the University that they tested positive for COVID-19. Employees and students who feel sick should stay home. If you test positive for COVID-19, students should immediately notify Student Health Services, and employees should notify their supervisors and the Office of Human Resources. Additionally, faculty and staff are required to report positive and presumptive student COVID-19 cases and exposures to Student Health Services. When someone who has been on campus tests positive, Northeastern works with the Chicago Department of Public Health to determine the appropriate response, which differs greatly depending on the situation. We continue to follow Chicago Department of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines as we ensure proper protocols and preventative measures are in place for the health and safety of our students and employees.
As of Jan. 5, 2022, 90% of currently enrolled students and 99% of active employees at Northeastern Illinois University are vaccinated against COVID-19.
Other COVID-19 updates
- Campus vaccination clinics and SHIELD Illinois COVID-19 testing have reopened on campus.
- COVID-19 attestation or exemption forms and COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements for Students and COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements for Employees can be found on the University website.
Stay up to date on everything regarding COVID-19 by visiting the Return to Campus website.