It’s that time of year again! Northeastern Illinois University will celebrate the latest class of graduating students during Commencement on Sunday. For those who can’t be there, the event will be streamed live at neiu.edu. Read about faculty emeriti awards, student honors and more in this week’s edition of Noteworthy at Northeastern.
Around the Commons
Northeastern has awarded emeritus status to four retiring faculty members. They will be honored during Commencement on Dec. 15. Northeastern awards the prestigious status to eligible retiring faculty members upon the recommendation of the department or program, with the concurrence of the dean and the provost, and with the approval of the University president.
Physical Education student awards
Sixty undergraduate students in the Department of Health Sciences and Physical Education attended the Illinois Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (IAHPERD) state conference—almost double last year’s number—and took home some prestigious awards. “Each year our students become increasingly more involved,” said Assistant Professor Kimberly Maljak, who helped students prepare for the conference. “They continue to grow as future professionals and impress us with their hard work and dedication.”
And there’s more!
- Three Northeastern students earned awards during the 2019 Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS) that took place from Nov. 13-16 in Anaheim, Calif. The winners were Grace Yun and MARC (Maximizing Access to Research Careers) scholars Luis Aldama and Moraima Noda. In total, nine Northeastern students presented at this conference.
- Annie Fritz earned an award for outstanding poster presentation at the East Central Illinois American Chemical Society (ECI ACS) Undergraduate Research Conference that took place Nov. 16 at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. In the media
- Univision Chicago visited the Main Campus to cover a fundraiser for NEIU undocumented students hosted by Cohort 10 of the ENLACE higher education master's program. The event served as the final group project for a class.
- CLTV’s “Politics Tonight” invited Associate Professor of Political Science William Adler to the studio to discuss the introduction of articles of impeachment against President Trump.
- Chicago Magazine featured Northeastern alumnus Alex Pissios (B.A. ’94 English), who serves as president of Cinespace Chicago Film Studios.
Ensemble Español Spanish Dance Theater, in residence at Northeastern, will perform its annual Holiday Concert/Concierto Navideño at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 14, and 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 15, in the Auditorium. Featuring the full company, youth company and guest artist Jose Barrios, the performance will include favorites from the company’s repertoire including Dame Libby Komaiko’s “La Era Romantica” and an excerpt from the critically acclaimed “Mar de Fuego.” Tickets are $20, $25 and $30 at the NEIU box office. NEIU faculty, students and staff receive a $5 discount with valid ID.
Coming next year!
- View all of the University’s future events at neiu.edu/events.