The Bachelor of Arts in Art is an undergraduate liberal arts degree with two concentrations: Studio Art and Art History.
Studio Art Concentration
The B.A. in Art with a concentration in Studio Art introduces students to a wide variety of art and design media, provides a strong foundation in art history and allows a student to have an extended area of emphasis in a single medium. This major gives students breadth and experience with an array of studio disciplines and classes place emphasis on both technique and ideas in their work. All studio courses use critiques as vehicles for discussion, analysis and evaluation and are appropriately tailored to the course level. Students in the Studio Art concentration have the opportunity to show their work in multiple student exhibitions each semester, including the annual juried student exhibition in the Fine Arts Center Gallery. The Northeastern Art + Design Association (NADA), our student art and design organization, frequently plans and implements shows on campus and all majors mount a senior capstone exhibition in one of our student galleries. Studio areas in the department include:
- Art + Technology
- Graphic Design
- Letterpress (part of the B.F.A. in Graphic Design)
Art History Concentration
The B.A. in Art with a concentration in Art History introduces students to numerous periods of art, cultural and historical events, visual means of expression and communication, and research methods. Students begin the program with survey courses that cover the history of Western art from ancient to modern eras, plus selected areas of non-Western art and continue on to seven specialized courses at the upper-division level.
Upper-level art history courses include theory, analysis and criticism. Students have the opportunity to take part in international art history study trips to Italy and Peru and are able to work with the Northeastern Art + Design Association (NADA), our student art and design organization, on a variety of student organized art exhibitions and events. Each semester one student in the art history concentration is appointed to tutor students in 100-level art history courses through the NEIU Learning Support Center.
The B.A. in Art fosters a sense of artistic community and encourages our diverse student body to contribute to the multifaceted conversations in the classroom, to create connections through the sharing of ideas and to be active participants in the creative flow that is found throughout the multiple disciplines in the Art + Design Department. Our location provides Art majors easy access to the greater Chicago art community, which offers the opportunity to establish connections and to contribute to a vibrant metropolitan art community.
Other program benefits include:
- Convenient location in a major metropolitan area
- Commuter and residential options
- Program affordability
- Small class sizes and close collaborations with faculty members
- Program faculty with diverse backgrounds and research interests
- Multiple studio areas that encourage interdisciplinary work
- Internship and independent study coursework options
- Professional gallery which allows students to be exposed to contemporary artists
- International study tours in conjunction with 300-level studio art and art history courses
The proximity to the Chicago metropolitan art world offers access to:
- Art museums and arts organizations of national and international importance
- Access to internships at art museums, arts organizations, and commercial galleries
- Museum and university lecture series and colloquia on the visual arts
- A professional art scene of national and international importance
- Diverse commercial art galleries showcasing local, national, and international artists
Academic Catalog Information
Take a closer look at the Bachelor of Arts in Art, and the courses offered toward the degree and concentrations.
Department and Contact Information
If you are interested in the program or have questions, please contact Art + Design at (773) 442-4910.
Northeastern Illinois University is home to students from all corners of the world and is one of the most ethnically diverse universities in the nation. Our small class sizes, flexible schedules and dedicated faculty can help you succeed in your studies.
We offer an education with value.