The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) provides an exceptional environment for learning, teaching and research by working directly with faculty members to improve their teaching practices, experiment with new instructional formats, and apply educational technologies in their classes.
The CTL will be the University hub for faculty learning, sharing and collaboration regarding their teaching practices. The CTL will foster an NEIU faculty directly engaged in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL), where classroom practices are a valued and rich source of shared information.
The CTL engages in five core strategies in order to achieve its vision:
- Increase collaboration with related faculty and student-support areas across campus, including University Technology Services, the Registrar, the Learning Centers, and Academic Affairs.
- Expand the reach of the CTL by including more faculty members as peer facilitators for CTL programming and as peer mentors.
- Institutionalize Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) practices and showcase them in University-wide events, while integrating them with ongoing accreditation efforts.
- Expand the learning opportunities for faculty with training and workshops offered in face-to-face, hybrid, online, and self-paced formats.
- Increase the visibility of exemplary teaching practices, both on campus and to external audiences.
The CTL offers support to full- and part-time faculty who want to:
- Refine their teaching skills
- Experiment with new instructional formats
- Apply educational technologies in their classes
The CTL provides workshops, educational software training, resources, and individual consultations. We offer advice, resources, and a forum for discussion to help faculty to transform the lives of students, their families and their communities by offering the best education possible.