Noteworthy at Northeastern: Sept. 19, 2014
This is it: Northeastern Illinois University’s new El Centro location opens to students on Saturday! We’ve got the latest on El Centro and lots more from around Northeastern.
Around the Commons
Here comes El Centro
Northeastern’s new location in Avondale opens for classes on Saturday, Sept. 20. “This is an exciting time as we embark on the next phase of El Centro’s history within the University and its place within the broader educational landscape,” Northeastern President Sharon Hahs said. She has invited the entire University community to celebrate the milestone at the Grand Opening and Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony on Tuesday, Sept. 30, at 1:30 p.m. The University will provide shuttle services to and from the main campus and the Carruthers Center.
In support of President Obama’s celebration of Hispanic-Serving Institutions Week as well as in recognition of the University’s status as an HSI, the University hosted two events in the past week to expand our understanding of this important recognition of Northeastern’s students and values. The events also helped the university kick off Hispanic Heritage Month.
The Amundsen connection
Maureen Gillette, dean of Northeastern’s College of Education, attended a Friends of Amundsen event to discuss the University’s partnership with Amundsen High School. “The Amundsen partnership is one of the most valuable aspects of our work in the College of Education,” she said.
Reimagining Food for fall
Northeastern has released the Fall 2014 Reimagining Food Calendar. Be sure to save the date for the Presidential Lecture Series program on Tuesday, Oct. 21, featuring Will Allen, author of “The Good Food Revolution.”
For budding scientists
Northeastern will host high school, middle school and elementary school students, parents and teachers for three science fair workshops in the coming month. The events, which are in collaboration with three other local institutions, are scheduled for Sept. 20, Sept. 27 and Oct. 11.
In the media
Weighing in on Obama
Northeastern Political Science department chair Jeffrey Hill was quoted by a CBS station in Washington, D.C., in a story about President Obama’s failure to deliver on some of his campaign promises. “Presidents do not want to be defeated when they act,” he said, “so they need to consider the reaction and their ability to succeed before they act.”
Also in the media ...
- Northeastern alumnus and WGN news anchor Robert Jordan has been named the first journalist-in-residence at the University of Chicago’s Careers in Journalism, Arts and Media program.
- The Chicago Tribune featured Sones de Mexico to preview the band’s performance at Northeastern on Sept. 23.
- Northeastern English department chair Tim Libretti published a column titled “How Much Would You Pay for the Good Society? Where the Income Inequality Debate Can Take Us” on politicususa.com.
Ensemble Espanol and the arts
The resident dance company at Northeastern will participate in this year’s Chicago Artists Month programming with four events, beginning Oct. 8.
Mark your calendar!
- Jewel Box Series ($5-$25), 7:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 19, Auditorium. The Lincoln Trio will perform.
- Sones de Mexico (free), 12:45 p.m.-2 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 23, Auditorium. The performance will be part of Hispanic Heritage Month.
- Genny Beemyn will present Trans and Genderqueer Inclusion on Campus (free), 2:50-4:20 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 24, SU 214. Beemyn is the director of the Stonewall Center and the Trans Policy Clearinghouse Coordinator for Campus Pride.
- “Fed Up” film screening (free), 4 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 24, Golden Eagles Room.
- Music in the Garden (free), 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 25, NEIU Ground community garden. Steve Shelton will perform.
We’re all on Twitter
For your convenience, Northestern’s official Twitter account has created a list of University departments and organizations. Simply click on the subscribe button, and you can follow along. If your department or organization isn’t on the list, please tweet @neiulife to join the group.
Do you have a story tip? Let the public relations department know!
Dana Navarro, director of public relations, email@example.com, 773-442-4227
Mike Hines, assistant director of public relations, firstname.lastname@example.org, 773-442-4240