Noteworthy at Northeastern: A major fellowship
The National Endowment for the Arts has awarded Northeastern Illinois University English Instructor Amanda Goldblatt a Creative Writing Fellowship. Find out more about the award, tonight’s Jewel Box Series performance and more in this week’s edition of Noteworthy at Northeastern.
Around the Commons
NEA Creative Writing Fellowship
English Instructor Amanda Goldblatt is one of 36 recipients nationwide to be awarded a National Endowment for the Arts 2018 Creative Writing Fellowship in the amount of $25,000. Selected from nearly 1,700 eligible applicants, Goldblatt teaches Creative Writing at Northeastern. Her work has been included in literary journals The Southern Review, the Fanzine, Tammy, Hobart and NOON, and Goldblatt is currently working on a novel, the project for which the fellowship was awarded.
Military Sports Camp
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab published a video highlighting its 2017 Military Sports Camp in the P.E. Complex at Northeastern. Each summer, Shirley Ryan AbilityLab conducts a Military Sports Camp in which injured military personnel try a range of adaptive sports including tennis, golf, sled hockey, archery, rock climbing, judo and wheelchair basketball.
A visit from the city clerk
Chicago City Clerk Anna Valencia visited Northeastern on Nov. 13 to learn about the University and explore collaborative opportunities with her office. Valencia oversees one of the largest offices in Chicago, serving 1.2 million Chicagoans and generating more than $130 million annually.
And there’s more!
- Northeastern will host a One Stop Enrollment Express from 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. in Alumni Hall on Dec. 5. Departments from across the University will come together to help students prepare for the spring semester.
- Assistant Professor of English Ryan Poll presented a paper titled “Can One ‘Get Out’? Black Horror Movies and Developing a Woke Aesthetics” at the Midwest Modern Language Association Convention on Nov. 11 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Professor of Special Education Michele Kane co-presented at the National Association For Gifted Children 64th Annual Convention from Nov. 9-12 in Charlotte, N.C., and was the closing keynote speaker at the Michigan Association for Gifted Children Fall Conference on Oct. 21 in Bloomfield, Mich.
- Students from Cohort 8 of the ENLACE program have organized a Dec. 1 fundraiser for Northeastern’s undocumented students titled Sueños Enlazados: An Evening of Undocumented Student Awareness.
- Registration is now open for the Illinois Legislative Latino Caucus Foundation Town Hall Meeting on Dec. 1 in Alumni Hall.
In the media
CLUES IN DNA
Univision interviewed Anthropology Instructor Martin Giesso in the Pedroso Center for a story about DNA testing to discover family history. Giesso explained that DNA tests show that we have a much more complex ancestry than what we think, and that we usually have ancestors from different parts of the world. He emphasized that it is important to do these analyses to contribute to understanding the histories of migration and conquest.
Also in the media …
- The Polish Daily News published a story and photos about the 20th Annual Polish-American Heritage Celebration that took place at Northeastern on Nov. 3.
Jewel Box Series
Flutist Demarre McGill will perform with pianist Victor Asuncion on Nov. 17 as part of the Jewel Box Series. Winner of the prestigious Avery Fisher Career Grant, McGill is acclaimed for his “richly saturated tone, spirited technique and expressive warmth” and has quickly become one of the most sought-after flutists of his generation. He enjoys an active career as a leading soloist, recitalist, artistic director and chamber musician.
Mark your calendar
- Thursday Night Live: Chicago Folklore Ensemble, 9 p.m. Nov. 21, Student Lounge
- “The Tall Target” screening, 7:30 p.m. Nov. 22, Auditorium
If you are a current student, be sure to follow NEIU Students on Facebook to stay up to date on events, deadlines and tips for making the most of your time at Northeastern.
Do you have a story tip? Let the public relations office know!
Mike Hines, Director of Public Relations, email@example.com, (773) 442-4240