Noteworthy at Northeastern: Future Golden Eagles?
Northeastern Illinois University again played host to the Illinois Academic Decathlon State Competition, with Whitney Young Magnet High School emerging victorious. Read more about the event that brought high school intellectuals to campus, the final thank-you video for the Transforming Lives fundraising campaign and much more in Noteworthy at Northeastern.
Around the Commons
Illinois Academic Decathlon
Northeastern hosted the Illinois Academic Decathlon State Competition on March 16. The University Honors Program coordinated the event. Students from 13 Chicago-area high schools went toe-to-toe in five objective tests as well as speech, interview and Super Quiz rounds. Whitney Young Magnet High School won the state championship and will go on to represent Illinois at the national competition in Bloomington, Minn., April 25-27.
And there’s more!
- Northeastern will host a Graduate Open House on April 10.
- The Carruthers Center will host an Open House on April 3.
- Northeastern and the NEIU Alumni Association are now accepting nominations for the 2019 Northeastern Illinois University Alumni Awards.
- College of Arts and Sciences Education Program (CASEP) Coordinator Jeremy Babcock led a group of 20 students on a grant-funded overnight future teacher leadership retreat to Camp Duncan in Ingleside, Ill., on March 18-19.
- Literacy, Leadership and Development Professor Ana Gil Garcia spent spring break in Morazan, Honduras, volunteering with the Honduras Educational Development Assistance Corporation.
- Assistant Professor of English Ryan Poll published an essay in PopMatters about Jordan Peele's new movie, "Us."
In the media
- Assistant Professor of Political Science William Adler appeared on CLTV’s “Politics Tonight” to discuss the mayor’s race and Mueller report.
Politics of Millennials
Cathy Cohen, the David and Mary Winton Green Professor at the University of Chicago, will deliver a lecture at 3 p.m. April 4 in SU 214 as part of the College of Arts and Sciences 50th Anniversary Lecture Series. The talk is titled “The Politics of Millennials in the Age of Trump: Race, Rage and Vulnerability,” and a small reception will follow.
Mark your calendar!
- View the University’s full events calendar at neiu.edu/events.
Northeastern officially celebrated the conclusion of its successful Transforming Lives fundraising campaign on March 27. The NEIU Foundation marked the occasion by releasing a video thanking everyone who contributed their time and money to the campaign. Subscribe to Northeastern on YouTube to catch all of the newest videos.
Do you have a story tip? Let the Office of Public Relations know!
Mike Hines, Director of Strategic Communications, email@example.com, (773) 442-4240