Northeastern Illinois University’s Daniel L. Goodwin Distinguished Lecture Series will return next month. Find out who’s speaking, which faculty members shared their expertise with the news media and how to follow the colleges on Facebook in this week’s edition of Noteworthy at Northeastern.
Around the Commons
Daniel L. Goodwin Distinguished Lecture Series
Nationally recognized financial expert Terry Savage will participate in a discussion titled “The Savage Truth on Money, Markets and the Economy” as Northeastern presents the second installment of the Daniel L. Goodwin Distinguished Lecture Series on Oct. 24. Savage writes a weekly personal finance column syndicated in major newspapers by Tribune Content Agency, and her columns also appear on Huffington Post. Savage makes frequent appearances as a money expert on CNN and other national television and radio programs, commenting on the financial markets and current economic events, and she is featured on WGN Radio and WGN-TV in Chicago with a weekly personal finance segment.
And there’s more!
- Signup is open for the Undergraduate Open House on Oct. 18 and the Graduate Open House on Oct. 4.
- Check out more photos from NEIU Weekend like the one at the top of the page!
In the media
A growing Venezuelan community
Chicago’s Venezuelan community is growing quickly, and WGN spoke with Educational Leadership and Development Professor Ana Gil-Garcia, a native of Venezuela, about the reasons behind the influx. “When I came to Chicago 21 years ago, we were only 60 to 70 Venezuelans,” Gil-Garcia told WGN. “We are still a small community, but I think it’s the fastest-growing immigrant community in the city right now.”
Also in the media ...
- CLTV’s “Politics Tonight” hosted Economics Chair Michael Wenz for a conversation about the new Republican tax overhaul.
- The Association of College Unions International featured Northeastern’s Student Union in the July/August 2017 edition of The Bulletin.
- BroadwayWorld reported that Board of Trustees member George Vukotich and College of Business and Management Dean Michael Bedell have been named to the Perfect Search Media Board of Advisors.
Jewel Box Series
Rhythm Future Quartet will perform Sept. 29 to open the new season of Northeastern’s Jewel Box Series. The acoustic jazz ensemble has a straightforward agenda: to keep the spirit of Gypsy jazz alive and expanding in today’s musical universe. The virtuosic foursome, named for a Django Reinhardt tune, offers up a newly minted sound influenced by the classic Hot Club of France, yet wholly contemporary.
The College of Arts and Sciences has launched a new series of conversations on the important and urgent topics of the day with the goal of engaging the scholars and experts of the Northeastern community to discuss and work through the many issues that challenge us, confuse us and move us to think and explore together in collective inquiry and conversation. The first Community Conversations event, titled Race and Trump’s America, is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Oct. 2 in Golden Eagles.
Made in Chicago Dance Series
Ensemble Español Spanish Dance Theater will open the 2017-18 Made in Chicago Dance Series with a performance at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 6 at the Auditorium Theatre. Ticket prices start at $29 for the general public. Students may purchase discounted tickets for $15 at the box office with a Northeastern student ID an hour before the show.
Mark your calendar!
- Intimate Partner Violence panel discussion, 3 p.m. Oct. 3, B-146
- “Canyon Passage” screening, 7:30 p.m. Oct. 3, Auditorium
- Thursday Night Live: Cabrona, 10 p.m. Oct. 5, Student Lounge
Follow the colleges
What’s going on in the Daniel L. Goodwin College of Education, the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Business and Management? Stay up to date on events and opportunities by following one or more on Facebook.
Do you have a story tip? Let the public relations office know!
Mike Hines, Director of Public Relations, email@example.com, (773) 442-4240