Northeastern president, students to attend HACU conference
Northeastern Illinois University President Sharon Hahs will attend the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities 28th Annual Conference on Oct. 4-6 in Denver, Colo.
The University will sponsor students to join Hahs under Northeastern’s partnership with the United States Department of Agriculture Hispanic-Serving Institutions National Program.
“The annual HACU conference is a great way for us to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and recognize our work in providing an excellent educational experience for our students,” said Hahs, who is a Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities governing board member. “I’m so proud that Northeastern has become known as a leader in educating Latino university students.”
Joining Hahs at the conference will be:
- Christopher Castro, mathematics student
- Aaron Cortes, director of TRIO Upward Bound Math and Science at Northeastern’s Center for College Access and Success (attending under USDA sponsorship as a USDA fellow)
- Brenda Melgoza, biology student
- Suleyma Perez, executive director of government relations
- Isaura Pulido, presidential fellow
Northeastern is one of only two public four-year universities in the Midwest federally designated as Hispanic-Serving Institutions.