Serving as advocates is our right as engaged citizens. We should exercise that right when issues that matter to us are at risk. Effective advocating includes contacting key decision-makers and influencers.
Before you write, call or visit, learn more about how you can be most effective.
- "Ten Truths" About Working with State Legislators
- Get tips on writing to a legislator.
- Keys to a successful meeting in Springfield
- "Illinois Public Universities: Investing in Illinois' Future"
- Build your personal narrative: Alumni Advocacy Worksheet
Familiarize yourself with government
Be proactive in learning as much as you can about government, how it works and how decisions are made. Below are additional resources.