Noteworthy at Northeastern: Preserving history
U.S. Rep. Luis Gutiérrez (B.A. ’76 English) donated his Congressional archives to Northeastern Illinois University upon his retirement. The archives have been digitized and are now available for public viewing! Fall 2021 classes begin on Monday and self-care tips this week focus on resources here at NEIU. Read about this and more in this week’s Noteworthy at Northeastern.
Around the Commons
Gutiérrez Congressional digital archives at NEIU Libraries is now available for viewing
When U.S. Rep. Luis Gutiérrez chose not to seek reelection in 2018, he donated his Congressional archives to Northeastern Illinois University. The Luis V. Gutiérrez Congressional Archives, which contain 41 linear feet of documents, awards, letters and other paraphernalia, is now available for online viewing. “I hope, in these archives, people can come and see that the life and the times of Luis Gutiérrez in the Congress of the United States have been focused on labor and immigration,” Gutiérrez said at the 2018 archives donation ceremony held at the Ronald Williams Library. “Immigration is an issue that brings people together; it’s social justice and equality and fighting discrimination and bigotry and fighting prejudice.”
Northeastern to require COVID-19 vaccination for Fall 2021
On Aug. 9, Northeastern Illinois University President Gloria J. Gibson issued a statement announcing that all Northeastern employees and students who will be on campus in the fall are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for the 2021-2022 academic year. Those who are unable to get vaccinated will be required to participate in weekly COVID-19 saliva-based testing on campus. The University will also continue to require face masks to be worn indoors and in outdoor spaces if social distancing cannot be maintained. Masks are not required to be worn when alone in a private office, personal residence hall room or when dining in a designated eating area. “I encourage everyone in the NEIU community to get vaccinated, if they are able,” Gibson said. “If you have questions about the COVID-19 vaccine, you are strongly encouraged to speak to your primary care provider.” Guidelines for submitting proof of vaccination are now available for students and employees.
And there’s more!
- Registration for Fall 2021 is currently open for all admitted students.
- Fall classes begin Aug. 23.
- Professor and Coordinator of Linguistics Richard W. Hallett published “An examination of EFL textbooks in Lithuania” in the Journal of Multicultural Discourses.
- The Angelina Pedroso Center for Diversity and Intercultural Affairs invites students, faculty and staff to sign up to play in this year's La Copa soccer tournament. La Copa is scheduled to be held from 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, Sept. 18 on the Physical Education Complex soccer fields.
In the media
- Jessica Lopez (B.S.W. ’20, summa cum laude) was featured in Patch. As a U.S. Marine Corps veteran, Lopez is now helping other veterans with mental health needs.
- Professor Emeritus of Economics Ed Stuart was a featured speaker for ASCM Chicago Chapter’s Economic Update Series on Aug. 19, discussing activities that are changing the U.S. economy and impacting its future.
Student Support Spotlight
Self-Care: Resources at NEIU
Northeastern Illinois University has a wide variety of programs and services to aid in your self-care throughout the school year. Student Counseling Services (SCS) would like to highlight the following resources and remind you that they offer assistance to students throughout the year. Employees are also encouraged to contact Magellan Healthcare for counseling services as needed.
SCS has also provided some tips for helping individuals manage anxiety and worry they may be feeling, and listed some important resources. Students are welcome to contact SCS to set up an appointment to talk either by phone or their online platform for teletherapy. To access NEIU’s SCS, call (773) 442-4650 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org between 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. After hours, students may also reach a counselor for more urgent consultation by calling the main number and pressing “2” during the outgoing message.
More resources for students can be found on the Keep Learning website and the COVID-19 Student FAQ page. General information about Northeastern’s response to the pandemic and the latest University updates regarding COVID-19 can be found on the NEIU Return to Campus website.