This is where it starts. College is possible!
The Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies (CCICS) Freshman Cohort Program is a beneficial way for students to learn in a tight-knit classroom setting. In addition to the small environment, the Cohort Program will prepare students with training that will assist them in being more effective in their communities, families and workplaces.
Benefits of the Freshman Cohort Program
- Receive the academic support you need throughout your first year at Northeastern Illinois University
- Start at CCICS and transition to NEIU’s Main Campus or stay at the CCICS location (depending on your major)
- Learn in an environment that fosters community team-building and leadership skills.
All the benefits of NEIU at a smaller location
- Specialized student advising
- Research library
- Health services
- Dynamic professors who support student growth personally and professionally
- Small class sizes
- Distance learning
- High-touch student support services from faculty and staff
Immerse yourself in our community
Since 1966, CCICS has been a leading center of scholarship and activism in the country supporting the forward progression of African American culture and life. One of Northeastern’s locations in the Chicago area, CCICS is located in the historic Bronzeville neighborhood and considered a “gold mine” on the South Side of Chicago.
For More Information
Admissions and Program Advisor