Noteworthy at Northeastern: Happy new year!
Northeastern Illinois University is gearing up for the Spring 2021 semester, which starts Jan. 11. As the University prepares for continued remote and online teaching and learning, it has signed an online quality assurance agreement. Read about this and more in this week’s edition of Noteworthy at Northeastern!
Around the Commons
Online learning quality assurance
Northeastern has joined the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), a collection of more than 2,100 colleges and universities committed to expanding students’ access to educational opportunities by providing more efficient, consistent and effective regulation of online learning programs. “Northeastern’s commitment to SARA serves as a clear declaration of support for our faculty and students in the growing and evolving practice of remote and online teaching and learning,” Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Dennis Rome said. “We are committed to removing barriers to education not just during this year of remote learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but also as a strategic and long-term opportunity for our current and future students.”
And there’s more!
- Spring classes begin Jan. 11. View the Spring 2021 Operating Plan.
- Professor and Coordinator of Linguistics Richard W. Hallett published “Critical teaching reflection on the ‘N-word’” in the book “Inspirational stories from English language classrooms.”
- The National Institutes of Health MARC (Maximizing Access to Research Careers) U-STAR Program at Northeastern is currently accepting student applications for MARC Scholar appointments. Applications are due Feb. 1.
- SEEDS Literary and Visual Arts Journal is accepting submissions through Jan. 25 for the Spring 2021 issue.
- The Student Government Association is seeking Senators and Council of Clubs Representatives. Students interested in these positions should complete the SGA Interest Form.
- Northeastern’s library is seeking student submissions for “Sheltering in Place: NEIU Archives COVID-19 Documentation Project.” All current Northeastern students as well as alumni who were students during the Spring and Summer 2020 terms are encouraged to submit pieces to the archive.
- Northeastern’s student media organizations are currently recruiting students. Any students interested in participating can fill out the NEIU Student Media Interest Form. Additionally, the Northeastern Programming Board and Student Government Association are hiring student workers. Students interested in any of these opportunities can contact Student Media Coordinator Dennis Sagel at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Museum of Contemporary Art
Northeastern Illinois University has partnered with the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago to offer students, faculty and staff complimentary admission to all exhibits and activities, as well as virtual performances and public programs through August 2021. (Ticketed additional-fee presentations are exempt from this agreement.) Students, faculty and staff will be required to present their University ID card in order to receive complimentary admission once the museum re-opens.
Coming Next Week
- “Welcome Back, Let’s Touch Base,” 3 p.m., Jan. 12
- Virtual HACU National Internship Program Information Session, 3 p.m., Jan. 12
- Virtual HACU National Internship Program Information Session, 4 p.m., Jan. 13
- “Teachers as Writers Intensive,” 9 a.m., Jan. 16
In the media
Gender gap in STEM
Biology Professor Emina A. Stojković was interviewed by the Università di Parma about closing the gender gap in STEM.
Also in the media …
- Block Club Chicago featured the art exhibit “Artificial Outlook” co-created by Assistant Professor of Biology Beth Reinke.
- Environmental Studies Instructor Robyn Flakne was featured in the Chicago Tribune for being honored with the Forester of the Year Golden Shovel Award.
Student Support Spotlight
Student Success and Retention Workshops
El Centro will offer virtual interactive Student Success and Retention Workshops to help students succeed throughout their college career. All workshops are facilitated by the El Centro team in collaboration with other departments across the University. Workshops are offered 3-4 p.m. Tuesdays via Zoom. All Northeastern students are welcome to attend.
- Jan. 12: Welcome Back, Let's Touch Base
- Jan. 19: Study SMARTER, not Harder
- Jan. 26: How to Take Great Notes
Please sign up and you will be sent the Zoom meeting link upon registration.