Northeastern Illinois University has earned another recognition for its green efforts, and three alumnae have been named finalists for the Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching. Get this news and more in this week’s edition of Noteworthy at Northeastern.
Around the Commons
Tree Campus USA
For the fifth consecutive year, Northeastern has received a Tree Campus USA recognition from the Arbor Day Foundation for promoting healthy trees and engaging the University community in conservation efforts. In order to earn this distinction, the University had to meet the five core standards for effective campus forest management according to Tree Campus USA: a tree advisory committee, a campus tree care plan, dedicated annual expenditures for a campus tree program, an Arbor Day observance, and a student service-learning project.
Golden Apple Award finalists
Three alumnae have been named finalists for Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching. They are:
- Mary Kovats (M.A.T. ’03 Teaching Elementary Education: Language Arts), Carl Von Linne Elementary
- Sofia Salinas (M.A. ’17 Literacy Education), Little Village Academy
- Oralia Villanueva (B.A. ’98 Bilingual-Bicultural Education and Elementary Education-Teacher Education; M.A. ’05 Reading), Little Village Academy School
Award finalists will be honored Feb. 22 at the Golden Apple Celebration of Excellence in Teaching & Leadership.
And there’s more!
- Northeastern will be closed on Wednesday, Feb. 12, in recognition of Abraham Lincoln’s birthday.
- Gerontology Program Coordinator and Associate Professor of Psychology Lisa Hollis-Sawyer delivered a talk about the crossroads between aging issues for women and feminism on Jan. 31 at the SUNY Global Center in New York.
- Professor Emerita Ana Gil Garcia has been elected to the board of the Fulbright Association’s Chicago Chapter.
- Family Counseling student Sherin Joseph has been appointed as one of the student representatives on the board of directors for the Illinois Association for Infant Mental Health.
In the media
An education leader
The Arizona Education News Service featured alumna Sheila Harrison-Williams (B.A. ’91 Elementary Education-Teacher Education and Special Education; M.A. ’95 Educational Administration), who has been named the Arizona School Boards Association’s new executive director. “It’s all about educating our children. It’s all about our future,” Harrison-Williams told the publication. “And it’s up to us to make sure that we are educating all of the children in the State of Arizona.”
Also in the media ...
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education reported that Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education has selected Northeastern Vice President Emeritus of Student Affairs Melvin C. Terrell as the recipient for its 2020 Bobby E. Leach Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Award.
Coming next week!
- I Love Mondays, 11 a.m. Feb. 10, Village Square
- Mindfulness Mediation, 12:10 p.m. Feb. 10, B 119
- Jazzy Monday Featuring Art T. Burton, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 10, Carruthers Center
- Study Abroad Fair, 11 a.m. Feb. 11, Alumni Hall
- Anthropos Bake Sale, noon Feb. 11, Village Square
- Exploring Healthy Relationships, 2 p.m. Feb. 11, Pedroso Center (B 180)
- Free and Confidential STI/HIV Testing, 2 p.m. Feb. 11, Pedroso Center (B 180)
- Student Recital Hour, 3:05 p.m. Feb. 11, Recital Hall
- Mindfulness Meditation, 12:10 p.m. Feb. 13, B 119
- Board of Trustees Meeting, 1 p.m. Feb. 13, Alumni Hall North
- Africana Arcade (Black Love Day), 6 p.m. Feb. 13, Alumni Hall
- View all of the University’s future events at neiu.edu/events.